chapter 50

“I just don’t get it.” Finn threw his hands up in there air, causing Rachel to groan from the other side of the table. 

“Why are you still talking about this?” Rachel asked. “You’ve been obsessing about this all lunch. It started when the waitress took our drink order, and now, as you’re waiting for her to bring you back change from the bill you paid, you’re still going. What’s not to get, Finn? It’s sweet tea! Its tea, with sugar in it. It’s not that deep.” Rachel tried to explain. 

“Yeah, but why?” Finn went on. “We don’t have that in Boston.” 

“It’s a Southern thing.” Rachel shrugged. “You Yankees just don’t know anything.” 

Finn couldn’t stop himself from laughing. “Did you really just call me a Yankee?” 

Rachel dropped her chin down to her chest, trying to keep from laughing at herself. Finally, she looked back up at him, as he continued laughing at her. “Shut up.” Was the only retort she had. 

“We really need to get you out of the South.” Finn shook his head. He took his change back from the waitress when she walked over, oblivious to the fact that she was practically drooling on his shoes. 

“Speaking of that...” Rachel started. “Are we?” 

Finn's eyebrows drew together as he regarded her with a confused expression. “I’m sorry, but I have no idea what the hell you’re talking about.” 

“You said I needed to get out of the South. I was just wondering if you were planning on taking me back to Boston with you when you left.” Rachel said. 

“Whoa, back up. Who the hell said I was going back to Boston?” Finn asked. 

“Y-you’re not going back?” 

“I hadn’t planned on it.” Finn admitted, crossing his arms on top of the table. “Unless you want me to go.” 

“No!” Rachel shouted, then calmed herself down. “That’s not what I’m saying at all.” 

“Then what are you trying to say, baby? Cause I’m really not following all that well.” He said. 

“When you walked into the office today, I was on the phone, right?” Finn nodded his head, picking up his glass of sweet tea, and taking a drink. “I was finally talking to Maria, you’re supposed to call Isabel, by the way.” She finally remembered to tell him. “So, she asked me what we were going to do. Ya know, you live in Boston, I live here. I told her I didn’t know... but I want to know.” 

“Well, what do you want to do?” Finn asked. “Do you want to stay down here? Or do you want to move to Boston with me?” 

“What about basketball?” Rachel brought up. “Are you going back to play again?” 

“I talked to Coach Rivers a few days ago.” Finn admitted. “He says that he wants me back on the team as soon as I think I’m ready, and as soon as all the doctors on this side of the Mississippi River say that it’s ok.” 

“So, you’re going back to basketball?” Rachel hedged, unable to keep the apprehension out of her voice. 

“No.” Finn shook his head. 

“No?” Rachel's eyebrows shot up. “You’re not going back to basketball?” Finn simply shook his head again. “Why?” Rachel couldn’t stop herself from asking. 

“Basketball is up there. You’re down here. Despite the way I made it look the first time around, basketball isn’t that important, Rachel.” He told her.