chapter 24

“Maria!” What did the man want now? Didn’t he know she was trying to mend fences with her best friend? 

“It’s okay Maria, go see what he wants.” Rachel laid back down against the pillows with her eyes closed. She was just telling Maria about the kiss her and Finn shared. She might have been intoxicated but she was not paralyzed. Rachel felt the kiss that Finn gave her; she felt it down to her toes. Her heartbeat quickened and for just a moment she allowed herself to remember being with him. 

He would cherish her with his lips and his body. She missed how he would cradle her against his body when she was cold and how he would carry her anywhere he could, even though she was capable of walking herself. It was the little things that added up to so much for Rachel. 

“Michael have you lost your fucking mind?!” Rachel could hear Maria through the door, she was curious so she eavesdropped…a little. 

“Maria, let her decide what she wants to do. It’s her life.” 

“I know, but I promised her I wouldn’t interfere anymore.” Rachel knew they were obviously talking about her, but why? 

“We aren’t. In fact she gets to choose herself. She can either accept or decline.” They were silent for a moment before Rachel heard Maria sigh heavily and agree. Rachel quickly scrambled back to the bed and pretended like she had been there all along. 

“Rachel?” 

“Yeah?” 

“There’s someone on the phone for you.” Maria was being vague and Rachel knew it. 

“Who is it, Maria?” Rachel raised her eyebrow suspiciously. 

“Finn.” What?! Why was he calling her? He never did before. Why today…why now? 

“What does he want?” Rachel crossed her arms. She would not give in. However that thought only lasted a moment because as soon as Rachel saw Michael’s face she couldn’t help but let her curiosity get the best of her. 

“Give me the phone.” Rachel sighed and reached for the phone.

Finn overheard the entire exchange between Michael and Maria as well as Maria and Rachel, so now he waited with bated breath for Rachel's answer. He practically dropped the phone when she asked Michael to hand her the phone. 

What should he say? Oh why had he not let Michael talk him out of this situation sooner? 

“Hello, Finn.” Rachel greeted him flatly after Maria and Michael left the room. 

“Hi, Rach.” 

“What do you want?” Ouch! That hurt, but he knew he deserved it. 

“I called Michael to tell him about my home game…in Boston next week…and I…I was inviting everyone to fly out to see it…and I…” 

Rachel rolled her eyes, she knew what was coming and she already knew her answer as well. 

“Spit it out Hudson. I don’t have all day.” Rachel meant for the comment to come out harsh but ironically it came out very playful. 

“Don’t get your panties in a twist Berry.” Finn joked back with her. 

“Ha ha! Now seriously what do you want?” Rachel sank herself further into the bed, pulling the comforter up to her neck. 

“I wanted to ask you if you’d like to go.” He was barely breathing as we waited for her answer. 

“I don’t think that…” Rachel stopped the moment she heard him cut her off, what could he possibly have to say, she thought. 

“Wait!” What was he stopping her for? It would probably only end up with them arguing. No, he needed to tell her what he was feeling at that moment. 

“I know you don’t think it’s a good idea. But I want you there, Rachel. I know you’ll have a good time and you can even root for the other team if you want.” Rachel giggled despite herself. 

“Finn, I have no doubt that I’ll have a good time, but why now Finn? Why after all these years? You could have asked me before.” Rachel finished sadly. 

“Could I have, Rach? I don’t think I could. I left you and I deserve all the resentment you have towards me…it’s just that I feel like you came back into my life and I just want you to see me once…just once and then you never have to see me again. I promise.” Finn was practically in tears. It was selfish he knew, but he hoped that she understood his intentions. Which were to just see her, but he couldn’t tell her that because he knew she would not welcome the thought. 

Rachel had to swipe the tears that had fallen from her eyes at Finn's words. She had such a soft spot for him, and so with very little reluctance she gave him her answer. 

“Okay Finn. I think…I think it will be fun. I’d love to go.” 

“Really?” Finn bounced off his bed and began pacing. Was this really happening or did he hear wrong? 

“Yes, now let me go before I change my mind.” 

“Right. Thank you, Rachel. Goodnight.” He finished softly. 

“Night, Finn.” After she hung up the phone she screamed into her pillows letting out some of her anxiety. 

“What the hell did I just get myself into?” She mumbled to herself as she closed her eyes, and prayed for sleep to come.