chapter 13

“Are we done hiking yet?” Rachel whined. 

“We haven’t even been walking for two minutes.” Maria pointed out. “Will you just go with it? Enjoy nature.” 

“I hate nature. I hate the trees, I hate the animals, I hate the bugs, I hate the mud, I hate the stupid fresh air, I want to get out of here ” Rachel yelled. 

“For the love of...” Michael trailed off, tugging at his hair in frustration. “If you don’t stop, I swear, I’m gonna leave you out here for the bears to eat you, Rachel.” 

Finn snorted a laugh, unable to hold it in. Rachel hit him in the upper arm, causing him to look over at her. “Will you stop hitting me? ” Finn yelled, tripping over an exposed tree root since he wasn’t watching where he was going. Rachel burst out laughing at Finn's expense, having to stop walking because she was laughing too hard. Finn stopped, gawking at her. “You find that amusing?” He asked, getting more upset by the second. 

“Yeah, I think that’s one of the funniest things I’ve seen since I’ve been back in Roswell. And that includes seeing Michael fall off the treadmill.” 

Michael turned bright red. “Why am I being brought into this?” 

“You fell off the treadmill?” Maria asked, barely holding back a smile. 

“That’s neither here nor there.” Michael brushed it off. “Let’s keep going.” 

Rachel groaned, but kept walking, her and Finn bringing up the rear of the group. 

After about half an hour of walking, Rachel threw her hands up in the air. “I quit. I’m not walking anymore.” She walked over to a large rock off the side of the trail and sat down, intent on not moving. 

“Alright, good luck finding your way back to the camp.” Michael said, never once even looking behind him. “We’re leaving you there, so have a nice day.” 

Rachel's mouth dropped open, shocked that they were seriously going to leave her there. “Fine, I didn’t wanna hang out with you anyway ” Rachel threw back, knowing it was lame, but not really caring. 

Finn stopped, turning around to look at Rachel. “C’mon, you can’t just stay there. You’re gonna end up getting lost on the way back. Get up, I’m sure we’re not going that much farter.” 

“There’s no we in this situation, because I’m not going anywhere at all. I’m going to sit right here.” Rachel crossed her arms over her chest, as if that proved that she wasn’t gonna move. 

“They’re seriously going to leave you behind, you know?” Finn informed her. 

“They’re gonna leave your ass behind too, if you don’t go catch up ” She yelled at him. 

“I’m not leaving you here in the woods by yourself.” Finn tried to reason with her. 

“Oh, but you have no trouble leaving me any other time.” Rachel bitterly replied, looking away from Finn. 

Finn sighed, more hurt by that comment then he’d ever admit to. He drug his hand down his face. “Then get up, we’ll walk back to the campsite and wait for them there.” 

“No. No, Finn, we won’t. Don’t do me any favors, just go away.” Rachel knew she was being extremely stubborn, but she refused to let Finn help her. To her, that would be admitting that she needed him, and it was her goal to make sure he knew that she didn’t need him. 

“I repeat, I’m not leaving you here in the woods by yourself.” Finn said, walking over and standing directly in front of her.

“Well, I’m not moving.” She said, sticking her nose up in the air, and looking away from Finn. 

Finn clicked his tongue, nodding. “Alright, you don’t wanna move. That’s fine.” 

Before Rachel knew what was happening, Finn grabbed one of her arms, yanking her up off the rock. He bent over, wrapping an arm around her waist, and hoisting her over his shoulder before turning back the way they had come in the first place. 

“Finn Hudson, put me down ” Rachel screamed, beating her fists into his back. “Let go of me ” 

“You said you weren’t moving, and I couldn’t leave you there, so this is how it’s gonna have to be. You feel free to let me know if you find an alternative to this.” Finn said, holding onto her tightly as she tried to squirm out of his grasp. 

Despite her best efforts, he carried her all the way back to the campsite, walking over and setting her on the trunk of Michael’s car. 

The minute he set her down, she popped off the hood, standing on top of him, all up in his face. “Who the hell do you think you are? ” Rachel yelled, beating her fists into his chest. Rachel looked up, meeting his gaze, literally stumbling back a step. 

Finn advanced on her, like a tiger stalking his pray. “You better watch it and start playing nice, baby.” Finn growled. Her back came into contact with the side of the car, but Finn didn’t stop until he was pressed up against her. “I wouldn’t wanna have to spank you for being naughty.” 

Rachel was sure her jaw was on the ground at his last statement. However, she couldn’t say that she wasn’t intrigued, or affected by him. “You don’t scare me.” Rachel  whispered, leaning into him as well. If he wanted to play, oh, she’d play right back. 

“You sure?” Finn asked, his hands coming to rest on her hips, before slowly moving upwards. He had no idea what the hell he was thinking, but he didn’t really care. He was lost in the sensation of touching Rachel again, and having her touch him. 

Rachel knew she needed to get away from Finn. Being in such close proximity, being able to touch him, and smell him again was making her common sense go flying out the window. Even with all that, she couldn’t make herself move away. Rachel watched as Finn's head dipped slightly, then slowly, his lips moved towards hers. 

Just as their lips were about to touch, the sound of Maria screeching Michael’s name penetrated their sexual fog, and Finn jumped back at least six feet, as Rachel quickly moved around to the complete other side of the car. 

A few moments later, Michael, Maria, Isabel and Alex came stumbling out the woods. Michael and Maria were arguing about something, like usual, and Alex and Isabel were laughing their asses off. 

Finn and Rachel avoided even looking in the others general direction as everyone else made their way back to the cars, and they all piled in, ready to finally head back home.