I purse my lips. Ready to retort but Carter speaks before I do shaking his head, "Like I said, I get it. We've done this a lot."

"Doesn't it get Annoying? Having strangers in and out, I mean."

He seemed to be rolling the words around his head. He puts the drum sticks down. And swivels towards me in his circular chair, "Not really, No. It's only when people take his niceness for weakness or for granted that I would say it gets irritating. I know it has to be hard growing up like that but he does what he can. He tries to provide help and resources rather than just being a rent free landlord.

"But even still, some of the kids we've had in here just can't comprehend it. We've had our things stolen, fights with them, one kid even overdosed the same night he refused rehab. It sucks but we've been doing it so long it's practically normal now. We just treat them like siblings. Friends who need a place to stay."

"Why keep allowing people into your home if they could possibly steal from you? Harm you?"

"You can't tell if someone is going to be thief by looking at them can you?" I shake my head, "Exactly. And the ones we've fought just came from tough backgrounds. It was ingrained in them. It was never really blood shed. Just heated arguments, maybe a tackle or two. Our mom and dad, they helped a lot of people. Some went to college. Some have families now. When Brighton stayed with us, Cam and I were kids. Ry, was only a baby.

"He was really fucked up. Like, coming home bloody and bruised. Drunk. Clothes torn. He was sixteen at the time, I think. He used to argue with my parents. He didn't even talk to me or Cam unless he was telling us to fuck off. He was gone practically all day and night and then one night my dad had enough. He just yelled at him the same way he yelled at them. I don't remember what was said but I remember Chase crying. He kind of just let it all out and after that he was like a different person. He went to school, participated, talked and hung out with us. Graduated and stayed with us during his breaks from college, and now, well, I'm sure you know how the story ends."

I nod my head, "If he lived with you so long why didn't your parents just adopt him?"

"They wanted to. My dad especially, they had a really great bond, the two of them. But, what a lot of people don't know is that--and I'm sure you'll keep this between us--his mom is alive. Dead to him, yes. Dead on paper? No. His mom skipped out after he was born. His dad did the best he could but drug addiction took over and he did pass away. Long story short, My parents tracked down his mom and even though she didn't particularly want him she didn't want anyone else to have him either. She wouldn't sign the papers. But that still doesn't stop us or him from calling us his brother(s). To him, we're his family and vice versa."

I took in the information. That was definitely something that wasn't in his book. Nor talked about in the media, "Do you keep in touch?"

Carter nods, "All the time. I think he calls dad every night. He comes to visit and we visit him every holiday. Dinners and all that. I'm sure you'll meet him if you're still around by October. He holds his Halloween charity costume ball that month. Then we're supposed to have dinner with his family on thanksgiving and I think we're doing something for Christmas."

"Sounds like a lot."

Carter gives an indifferent shrug. He's used to it. That was there life, "You should really talk my Dad, Aaron. He just wants to help you with whatever you're dealing with."

I purse my lips as I get up to leave. Cameron had music blasting from his room. Rylie was gone for the night. Once I'm inside I walk down the stairs to the first floor. From the corner of my eye I could see Mr. Phoenix walk into living room. He loosens up his tie. I twist my fingers in nervousness. He throws his suit jacket over the couch. He rolls his sleeves up and heads towards the kitchen getting leftovers that were heated on the stove.

I stand behind the island. Not knowing what to say. I clear my throat to get his attention and he turns around. His brows shoot upward almost like he was surprised to see me standing there. I tug my bottom between my teeth. My hands grip the counter top.

"H-hey."

Mr. Phoenix squints at me. A narrowing of his eyes. I almost thought he was agitated by my presence. He notices my nervous state. His eyes soften before he sets his bowl on the counter top and blows on his food to cool it down. He brings a spoonful of chili to his mouth and swallows before speaking.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine."

"Have you eaten?"

I bite down in the inside of my cheek, "I don't really like chili," Mr. Phoenix goes to speak but I quickly interject, "But I, uh, ate a sandwich and chips."

He nods his head reaching into one of cabinets overhead and grabs a pack of saltine crackers, "I'm surprised to see you awake," he sends me a pointed look before digging back into his food.

"I've been tired," I lie even though I know he knows I am. Unless he calls me out I have no reason to explain myself.

"Right," he heaves out a sigh. The contents of his bowl cleared. He sets it in the sink, "Have a seat, Aaron," he glances down at the bar stool in front of me.

"I was gonna go to bed..." I fidget in place feeling a clog in my throat.

"Please, sit."

I begrudgingly plop myself on the cushioned bar stool. I should've stayed upstairs. Stuck with the routine. The act was working.

"Listen, nothing you said the other night has settled with me. I can't even wrap my mind around it if I'm being honest."

"I was assaulted. End of story," the words come out hostile. Mr. Phoenix flinches at my bluntness. He's about to speak but his phone rings. He answers on the second ring telling the person on the end he'll call them back before it gets too late.

"That's not the end of the story. I admire you for having such thick skin about it but this," his hand darts out and I flinch back, "this isn't normal," my lips form a tight line. My jaw clenches, "You shouldn't flinch when someone tries to touch you with no ill intentions. You shouldn't wake up screaming and vomiting at three in the morning. That's not okay."

"I don't want to sound rude but I've dealing with this for years. I think I'd know if I'm alright or not."

"Just because you've been living like this doesn't mean that you should. It's not healthy, Aaron. Keeping all that in has to and is damaging your psyche and interpersonal relationships. You barely speak to me or my sons and I'm not saying you have to but it's different for all of us. Having you here is a change but it could definitely go smoother if you'd open up."

"I didn't ask you to let me stay here," I was being rude. A brat. Defensive, "And I just talked to Carter like five minutes ago. I'm sorry we're not living like the Brady bunch but I didn't ask for this!" My voice raises an octave and Mr. Phoenix looks perturbed by the sudden change in my demeanor. I was never like this. Ever. It was disturbing me. Rattling my thoughts.

"I'm not saying--"

"Then what are you saying?" I narrow my eyes.

"Right now, I'm saying I want you to relax. This isn't me attacking you," His voice keeps that calmness. The patience. "I'm saying that you need to talk someone. It doesn't have to be me. It can be Kelly or it can be a professional. I'll let you decide."

My nostrils flare. Talk to my dad, Aaron. He just wants to help Aaron. A mocking voice in my head recites Carters words from earlier. I scoff inwardly, "I don't want to talk to anyone."

Mr. Phoenix runs his hands down his face. The tiredness now showing. The slight bags under his eyes, "Aaron,
I don't want to make you do anything you don't want to but I can't stand idly by while knowing this information. If we have to do this the hard way I will."

I stiffen. My hand grips the countertop. We stare at each other. His eyes were challenging me just as mine were telling him to back off. I clench my jaw. He raises a brow much like Carter does. I note that's where he gets it from. I push myself away from the counter wordlessly and stomp my way upstairs. I hear him let out a sigh and his voice mumble a few words before I'm completing out of hearing range.