***

"What's next?" Julian said breathlessly, closing his car door and turning on the engine to his Tesla.

"Don't you think we're done yet?" I questioned, buckling the seat belt down.

"Um, no! It's only 6:15!" Julian eyes crazed as he looked back at me. Riley's head snapped at me.

"We're not even half way done!" She smiled wickedly, before turning up the radio. I groaned, looking over at Hayden. He stared outside the window, as the world started moving, trees flashing outside. He seemed so out of it.

This wasn't him.

I pulled his hand that rested in his lap into mine, tangling my fingers with his. He didn't acknowledge me, but only gave a small squeeze. I smiled softly, glancing out my own window.

Maybe everything isn't so bad.

Cause everything isn't. I know it.

All I have to do is believe it.

***

"Whoever can get the most samples wins! In your marks, get set, go!" Julian, Riley, and I bolted over to the ice cream machines, taking the small sample cups and filling them with different flavors, and then running back to the table Hayden was leaning against. It was so crazy, we bumped into each other so many times, and we got ice cream all over ourselves just trying to pour it, and it was just crazy!

"Done!" I giggled, placing the rocky road sample down on the table and tossing my hands up in triumph.

"What no!" Julian dropped down the mint ice cream on the table, and started whining.

"I was only off by like zero point two seconds!" He huffed. Riley knocked his shoulder, nearly dropping the caramel in her hands, and placed it down on the white table.

"Well, that was a mission failed." She blew the strand of hair that had fallen on her face away.

"It was fun though," She chimed in. I nodded, before making my way to get some actual ice cream.

"Wait-" Julian grabbed my arm.

"The challenge isn't over. Whoever can drink all of these samples wins."

"Oh come on!" I whined, catching Hayden's eye. He fought a smile, and he only stared at us dumb kids about to have the worst brain freeze in the world.

*

"I'm so full." I licked the vanilla ice cream off my lips.

"Same." Julian looked up from his banana split, whip cream smudged across his face.

"Walk. Let's walk." Riley patted her stomach, standing out of the seat. We followed, but I slowed my pace to match Hayden's. We left the ice cream parlor, and walked out onto the sidewalk. Bunch of people walked beside us, coming in and out of stores in the area. It was breezy, and the sun had just gone down, leaving the large full moon to light up the sky, and with the dozens of hanging stream lights, followed by the cars and the street lights, there was no doubt you wouldn't be able to not see where you are stepping. The place was beautiful, like it was zapped straight out of a movie. We crossed the street, Julian laughing as he led the way. We some how made our way over to the beach board walk, beside small hat stands and jewelry stands.

"I'll race you down!" Julian smiled, yanking me forward.

"But I just ate ice cream-"

He snatched my phone from my hands, and took off running.

Oh hell no.

I bolted after him, the breeze pushing my hair back as I chased him in the sand, sand seeping into my shoes. He laughed before I started laughing back, chasing him. We reached down near the shore of the water, and he stopped.