Chapter 40««That Scares Me

(Y/n)

I noticed Sam leave. I didn't care. Carl called me weak. Me. I couldn't get it out of my head. That jerk. I sighed. I went back inside. I seen Rick kiss Jessie's cheek. She walked off and I walked away pretending not to see anything. I went back to the boys.

"Took you long enough," Ron whined.

"Shut it," I said as he put his arm around me. I heard Sasha yell,

"That's what your worried about?" Then she ran off. I went over and comforted the woman she yelled at. The next day, I woke up at home. Enid wasn't there. Aaron wasn't there. Eric wasn't there. I got dressed and went outside. First night in a few days I've gotten to stay at home. I sat on the porch. Watching. Waiting. For...something. I don't know what, but I was. I shook my head. It was quiet out. During this time, kids are in school. Teens, younger brattier kids. I thought about what Daryl had said. This place was weak. Maybe that's what Rick was talking about. Maybe I should tell someone. Maybe Carl or Enid.

"I don't know," I said softly. Daryl and someone else had left. I think Aaron. Not sure though. I got up and walked around Alexandria. I was still getting used to it. My first few days I was silent. People asked if I was mute and that's how I survived. Once I began talking, all I wanted to do was find my friends. That's all I talked about. I didn't know many people. Enid only spoke to me. She still doesn't like talking. People were packing up for a run. Dad was one. I went to said bye, but I don't like saying goodbye. Later on that day, Noah didn't come back and Tara got hurt. Dad was really upset. I guess he got killed in front of him. I didn't do much lately.

Time Skip

I layed in my bed. Staring at the ceiling. It had been a while since anything had happened and I waited for something to happen. I hoped Rick hadn't figured how Mr. Anderson hits Jessie. Ron told me he did and once Ron told me that, Mr. Anderson hit me. I didn't tell anyone. Only Ron and I knew. We didn't want to tell anyone. The next day, I took a shower. I layed out my clothes. The flannel I wore when I found them. The jeans, and my shoes I always wear. I put on my gear and I went outside. Not outside the walls. Not yet. I walked around for a bit. It was cold, so I ran back in and grabbed a jacket. Then, I went outside the walls. I walked and heard footsteps. I seen Carl.

"Carl," I said. "I know you're following me. Again. And you're going the wrong way."

"You knew?" He asked.

"You're very loud." He snapped a twig again.

"Can you go back?" I asked. "To be honest, you scare me."

"You shouldn't sneak out by yourself. Two people just died," he said.

"Oh, come on." I stepped into his view.

"People will always die. Like your dad had said on the farm. You know that," I said.

"We should go back," he said.

"Why?"

"What do you do out here anyways?"

"Same thing as you." I began running. He chased after me. He grabbed my hand as we seen a walker. I got out a timer and set it. I threw it and the walker followed it. The timer went off. The walker was drawn to it. We ran off. I found a spot and sat down. Carl sat next to me. We were panting.

"We're supposed to be out here," I said as we looked into the woods. "We're supposed to feel like this. I don't want to forget it. And running makes me feel better. I think about when we were kids."

"I can't forget," he said "I dream about it. Being in the forest with them."

"I do, too."

"Ron's a good guy."

"He is."

"Does he know you come out here?"

"No, I--he wouldn't understand." I got in my bag.

"Why do I scare you?" He asked. I got out my knife.

"I don't know, you just do," I said.

"Cool knife," he said watching me engrave something.

"It was Beth's. Daryl gave it to me."

"What happened to you before you got there?" I stopped and looked at him.

"Does it matter?" I asked.

"It does," he said. We heard the snarls and turned around. We stood up and I grabbed my bag.

"We need to go. Sounds like a lot," he said. I walked over to the tree with a hole in it. I hid and Carl followed. He took his hat off. It was a tight space. We stared at each other.

"It's their world," I whispered. "We're just living in it." Walkers passed us. His hand brushed mine. The hand my knife was in. We were so close to each other. He let out a breath and turned his head. I smiled.

"Cool," I whispered. "You're afraid of me, too." We continued to stay where we were as walkers passed. We got back to Alexandria. I heard yelling. It sounded like Rick. We climbed over and ran to see what happened. Rick was beating the shit out of Pete. Jessie was crying. Sam was scared. Pete flipped them over. Jessie tried getting him off, but he hit her. Rick got on top of Pete and Carl tried getting him off just to meet the same fate as Jessie, but he got pushed. I helped Carl up. My breathing became heavy. Deanna came over. Finally putting a stop to the madness. Dad and Nicholas arrived. Rick said something I couldn't make out.

"Damn it Rick! I said stop!" Deanna shouted.

"Or what?" He asked getting out a gun that I know he stole. It made me jump as he cocked it. I seen Enid next to me.

"You gonna kick me out?" Rick asked.

"Put that gun down, Rick," Deanna said. Rick waved the gun around.

That scares me.