Chapter 12««One Hell of a Dream

(Y/n)

I began the procedure. She screamed in pain.

"What are you doing to her?" Carl screamed at me. I started crying, I couldn't do it. Her blood, on my hands, I couldn't. I let Mom take over as I backed up into a corner. She had to have Carl help instead. We both know how, we just never had experience. I cried, my cries were so loud I didn't hear what Mom was saying to him. Carl handed Mom his jacket as Mom held a crying baby girl.

"We have to go," Mom said.

"We can't just leave her here," Carl said. "She'll turn." Mom reached for her gun.

"No," Carl said.

"Carl-"

"She's my mom." He took out his gun. Mom walked away a little bit. I looked at Carl. He had tears running down his face. He turned to his mom. I stood up and ran over to him. I took his hand.

"It's okay," I said putting my hand on the gun with his. "You can't do it alone." I rested my head on his shoulder as he raised it. Tears streamed down my face. Rick's voice echoed in my head, so I repeated it to Carl.

"No more kid stuff. People are gonna die. Rick's gonna die. Lori. Me. There's no way you can ever be ready for it," I said. When I said 'Lori', my voice cracked. He pulled the trigger. My heart broke as he walked away. He seemed cold. I hated it. I walked to Mom, tears streaming down my face. We made our way outside. It felt like I couldn't hear anything. Everything had happened so fast. Rick lost it. He started crying. Dad walked over to me, but I pushed him away. I walked a little ways away from everyone. I could've done it right. I could've and I chickened out. Carl took the baby to Papa like he asked.

"What are we gonna feed it?" Daryl asked.

"The good news is she looks healthy," Papa said. "But she needs formula and soon or she won't survive."

"Nope. No way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run."

"I'm going too," I said. Mom and Dad agreed. Daryl took Auntie aside and told her something.

"You two get the fence. Too many pile up and we got ourselves a problem. Maggie, Glenn, (Y/n), vámonos," Daryl said. Rick picked up his axe and went inside. Mom called after him.

"Get the gate. Come on, we're gonna loose the light!" Daryl shouted. That was all I heard. I know there was more, but that's all I heard. I followed him. I was gonna do something for this baby. We decided to go somewhere.

"There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85," Dad said.

"No, the baby section's been cleared out. Lori asked me to keep an eye out. Haven't had much luck," Mom said.

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl asked.

"We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here," I said.

"Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road, the car will never get through there," Dad said.

"I can take one of ya," Daryl said.

"I'll go," I said. "No arguments. I'm doing this." I hugged and kissed them both and got on the bike with Daryl. We set off. We got to a daycare.

"Company's close. Stay tight," Daryl said. We walked through the gates. There was a playground in the yard. I walked up to the place and looked in the window for walkers. I broke the glass and Daryl helped me up inside. Inside, I looked around. The cribs, hand prints on the wall. I went through and found diapers and other useful supplies like bottles. Daryl came in. He went and searched other places in this place. I looked around for more. I heard scratching. Guessing Daryl did too. We walked into the kitchen. I opened the door like he told me too. It was a possum.

"Hello dinner," he said getting it.

"I'm not putting that in my bag," I said looking trough more cabinets. Finding more stuff to put in my bag, other than a possum because no thanks. We left and got back to the prison. I gave the stuff to Mom and sat down. They prepared her some formula. They gave it to Daryl and he fed her.

"She got a name yet?" Daryl asked.

"Not yet," Carl said. "I was thinking maybe Sofia. Then there's Carol, too. Andrea. Amy. Jacqui. Patricia. Or...Lori. I don't know." He sat next to me.

"Yeah, you like that? Huh? Little ass-kicker," Daryl said to her. We all kinda laughed.

"Right? That's a good name right? Little ass-kicker, you like that? Huh? You like that, sweetheart?" Daryl said. After a while we all ate and returned to our cells for the night. I sighed staring up at the bottom of the top bunk. I wanted to cry. Scream. Let it all out, but I didn't. I layed there. Tears ran down the sides of my face, but I wasn't sobbing. I didn't know if they were just tears from my eyes being watery or what. I did fall asleep. Not like I wanted to.

Dream

Papa was taken. I don't know how or why, but him and a girl were taken. Daryl passed out guns. I didn't know why or what was happening. I noticed a man with one eye and a katana. I seen him take the katana and slice Papa's neck. I screamed.

End

I woke up and shot straight up, hitting my head on the bars. I fell back down as cried.

"(Y/n)?" Carl asked. I didn't reply. I just cried. It hurt like hell. I heard him move around and then I seen him sit out bed.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"It was just a nightmare. I'm okay," I said. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"I was already awake. I get them too."

"This is the first one since, I have no clue. I hit my head." He put his hand on my forehead.

"You'll be okay," he said. He started to get up, but I grabbed his hand and made him stop. He looked at me.

"Will you stay until I fall asleep?" I asked.

"Of course," he said. He layed down with me. He put his arm around me and I put my arm on his chest. His fingers ran through my hair.

"Why don't you sing? That, that helps right?" He asked. I sighed.

"Of all the money
E'er I had
I spent it in good company
and all the harm E'er I'd done
Alas it was to none, but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all
Oh, all the comrades that E'er I had
Were sorry for my going away
All the sweethearts that E'er I had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls into my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all
Good night and joy be with you all," I sang. By then, Carl had fell asleep. Soon did I. That was

one hell of a dream.