Chapter 9««We Don't Turn Into Clueless Farmers

(Y/n)-Nine Months Later

Carl started going on runs a lot more. I still wasn't confident using a gun, so Carl helped me. I stayed back with the rest. Mostly, I kept watch while the others were away. My practice was shooting far away walkers. They found a place. Carl was in the kitchen, while I helped set stuff down. Set up beds. Carl came back with dog food and Daryl had an owl. Rick took the canned dog food and threw it. Guess he didn't realize it wasn't people food. We were super low. Most of the food went to Lori, Carl, and I. We didn't stay long and we had to keep moving. Papa had grew a beard. He looked like Santa. If he existed of course. Carl and I don't talk as much as we used to because we never have time and we always have to keep quiet. It's mostly silence between us. Carl, Beth, and I stood guard while they discussed stuff. Places to go. I say it a lot, but I don't care. Lori being as long as she is can't handle all the moving. Rick and Daryl went hunting. When they came back, they told us about what they found, but it was overrun with walkers. I guarded Lori as we made our way in. I had my gun out ready. We made our way closer to the actual prison.

"It's perfect," Rick said. "If we shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight."

"So how do we shut the gate?" Papa asked.

"I'll do it. You guys cover me," Dad said.

"No, it's a suicide run," Mom argued.

"I'm the fastest."

"No, you, Maggie, (Y/n), and Beth will draw as many of them over there. Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl take this tower. I'll run for the gate," Rick said going over to each group.

"I'll help. You can't push a gate alone doof," I said. I looked at Mom who gave me a look.

"I'll be fine," I said. "I'm pretty fast." She nodded and so did Rick. Mom, Beth, T, and Dad made noise and killed them. Lori opened the gate and we started for it. We ran and Rick shot. One almost got me, but Daryl got it. Carol almost shot Rick on accident. We got to the gate and closed it. We started killing them off. We got in another tower and closed that door. Gunshots were all we heard from outside. We went up and Rick started to snipe them. I didn't cause I'm not super good with longer shots. They were all dead and we went back. Mom hugged me. So did Dad and Carl.

"All those days of tag huh?" Carl mocked. I pushed him playfully. We had a spot where we set up a camp. We ate.

"Hm, just like Mom use to make," Dad said. Then threw his food. They started talking. I just ate. We discussed making a farm, Lori having the baby, Rick. Carol took Daryl some food. Carl just ate, as did I. I missed playing in fields.

"You should be twelve by now," Carl said.

"And you thirteen," I replied.

"Bethy," Papa started. "Sing Paddy Reilly for me. I haven't heard it since your mother was alive."

"Daddy, not that one, please," Mom said, glancing at me.

"How about, 'The Parting Glass'?"

"No one wants to hear," Beth said.

"Why not?" Dad asked.

"Okay.

Of all the money
E'er I had
I spent it in good company
and all the harm E'er I'd done
Alas it was to none, but me,"

I joined her.

"And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all,"

Mom joined too.

"Oh, all the comrades that E'er I had
Were sorry for my going away
All the sweethearts that E'er I had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls into my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all
Good night and joy be with you all,"

"Beautiful," Papa said.

"Better all turn in," Rick said. "I'll take watch over there. Got a big day tomorrow."

"What do you mean?" Dad asked.

"Look, I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we've got to push just a little more. Most of the walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies may be intact. They'd have an infirmary, a commissary."

"An armory?" Daryl asked.

"That would be outside the prison itself, but not too far away. Wardens office would have info on the location. Weapons, food, medicine. This place could be a gold mine."

"We're dangerously low on ammo," Papa said. "We'd run out before we'd make a dent."

"This why we have to go in there...hand to hand. After all we've been through, we can handle it. I know it. These assholes don't stand a chance." Rick got up and walked off. I looked at Carl as Lori went over to him.

"We got this," I said. He smiled.

"You guys are good singers. Grow up like that?" He asked.

"Yeah. We know a bunch of songs. Some we don't sing, others we love to. Paddy Reilly was a song my Mama used to sing to me when I'd have trouble to sleep. I don't like it as much anymore. That's why we don't sing it very much." Carl nodded as if he understood. This place could be our new home. There's only a few things a wish though.
1. We find more people.
2. We find supplies.
3.

We don't turn into clueless farmers.