Broken

Chase POV

The world seemed to stop as she said those words to me. Even my breathing stopped. I just stood there, frozen. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to laugh and say, 'just kidding'. She had this blank expression. Her eyes just stared at me like I was a stranger she was seeing for the first time. Shit.

"You're not kidding, are you?" I asked her though I knew the answer.

She just looked at me.

"Shit." I cursed and looked down.

"Wait here, I'll go get your doctor." I told her.

She nodded at me but she didn't seem interested if I leave or not.

I went to find her doctor and then told him that Sam was awake. I led him to Sam's room. Sam was still lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling like it was the best thing she had ever seen.

The doctor walked towards Sam and checked her eyesight and other stuffs. He asked her some questions like what's her name, how old was she, where did she live and other things. What surprised me is that Sam could remember those things. She even remembered her childhood pet's name. But she couldn't remember me. Not even my name. Then he turned to look at me and smiled.

"Your girlfriend's quickly recovering. Her injuries are healing. So far, it's a good progress."

I looked at him, shock. "Good progress?! Are you out of your mind? Sam can't remember me!"

"Calm down, son. This is normal."

"Normal?! My girlfriend can't remember me and you're telling me this is normal?" I yelled at him.

"Sir, lower your voice. The patient doesn't need to stress out."

I took a deep breath and glanced at Sam. She had been silent through the whole exchange of words between me and the doctor.

"Sorry for yelling at you. It's just that...I'm freaking out because my girl doesn't seem to remember me. It just...sucks."

The doctor smiled. "I know how you feel, son."

"So why can she remember her childhood memories but can't remember me?"

"It seems like the patient's suffering from Post-traumatic amnesia. It's usually due to head injury. In her case, the type of amnesia she's suffering from is called Retrograde amnesia. This type of amnesia usually targets the patient's most recent memories. She has mild trauma, maybe because of the car accident. That's why she can't remember the things that happened before the car accident. Since her amnesia is not that severe, she only forgot what happened for the past couple of months. She also can't remember some people. I asked her to name a couple of her friends but she had a hard time remembering their names." he explained.

"Is it a long-term memory loss?" I asked worriedly.