The Hospital Girl ~ 10

Chapter 10 ~ Amy

When I woke up the next day, I found myself smiling more than I usually did. Grace and Alec seemed to have noticed my sudden mood change.

“Why are you smiling so much?” Grace asked after she bathed Lily.

“Some things are just worth smiling about,” I whispered.

“But you’ve been smiling like a goofball all morning!” Alec exclaimed causing me to giggle.

“Something happened last night when we went to bed, didn’t it?” Grace insinuated.

“What was it like? The first time you met Seth , what was like,” I asked with a faint blush, desperately trying to get Grace off topic so I wouldn’t have to reencounter last nights events. As much as I wanted to talk about them I couldn’t, it was too personal for me, and the only person I wanted to reencounter those events with is Steven.

“Well we were high school sweethearts really. I moved here when I was only fifteen and we shared the same first period class. When I walked through those doors I ran right into him and I felt something there. I looked up and saw those beautiful, enchanting green eyes of his and I knew I, there and then, I would fall for his charm. Then throughout that first day he kept trying to chat me up and one of the first lines he said to me was, ‘I haven’t seen you around before.’ He said it with a –“

“With a wink. And I do not sound like that,” I turned my head and smiled when I saw Seth standing there with a loving smile on his face as he looked at his wife. Grace, Alec and I laughed at his outburst but became sober when he walked over to us and placed a small kiss on Grace’s forehead.

“Then I made sure to court her and make her fall in love with me. When we left school we had been together for three years, then I got down on one knee and proposed to her in front of the family. I was praying she would say yes because I loved her with all my heart. And I still love this woman who could make me smile on my darkest days and who will be a great mother for Lily,” Seth praised with a loving note that was consistent throughout his small monologue.

I looked at Alec and saw that he was close to tears; I knew I was about to breakdown to but I had to brave a false smile. Mum and dad looked at each other like that, and met in a similar way and I felt a pang in my chest as memories of how dad praised mum drifted aimlessly through my mind.

“Ready Grace?” Seth asked grace dragging me out of my depressing thoughts and mindset.

“Where are you going?” I asked, slightly frantic to be left alone with Alec for who knows how long.

“I have to leave Amy. I’ll come back to visit but I have to clean up and show Lily off to Sandra and Seamus this morning then I’m going to go home and rest for a while,” Grace explained cautiously.

I opened y mouth to speak but got cut off with a loud sob. “Don’t leave!”

“Alec. It’s their choice to leave or not. She has to go, she has to take care of an infant!” I argued.

“Don’t be so mean to me Amy! I hate this hospital! I hate this stupid cast on my arm! I hate it all! Please don’t leave Grace! I’ll miss you!” Alec wailed.

“I’m sorry buddy,” Seth apologised. “Grace needs her rest. How about tomorrow all three of us come back and visit you? I could even bring my guitar.”

Alec’s features brightened greatly and his sudden tears have vaporised. “You can sing for us again?”

Seth smiled at Alec then at Grace and I. “Of course. Maybe not Taylor Swift but I’ll still sing.” We all chuckled lightly at his comment.