The Hospital Girl

The Hospital Girl

Prologue:

The music pounded through the speakers, entering the souls of the drunks at the bar. With Seth Blakewood singing the lyrics to Untitled by Simple Plan and his brothers playing their key instruments, everyone in the bar was at bliss. Seth has been married for two years with his mate Grace; she was expecting a baby soon. Boy or girl the couple don’t know and they wanted it to be a surprise. Next in the Blakewood family is Steven. At eighteen years old he has reached his final year of school and has the female population wrapped under his finger. He toys with them until he get what he wants. He isn’t a ‘player’ per se, he manipulates women with his so called charm. He hasn’t found his mate yet but when he does he wants her to be a feisty femme wolf with curves even Mr Squiggle can’t draw. He doesn’t want some petty, pathetic, weak human girl, clinging to his side, craving his attention. Oh no he doesn’t want that, forever mates have to live together for and if his mate is someone who desires attention then to hell with her.

“Thank you guys, that’s a wrap!” Seth called out with his hard, masculine voice into the microphone.  Steven snapped out of his reverie and followed his two younger brothers, Sebastian and Sammy, off stage.

“Great show guys,” Seth praised.

“Yeah great job guys,” Grace commended with her Texas drawl. Seth walked over to her and kissed the blonde haired, blue eye girl. Everyone gagged mockingly.

“Get a room!” shouted Sammy, who was only thirteen so it was understandable that he would crack innuendos.

Grace and Seth pulled away and Grace’s face contorted into pain whereas Seth’s face distorted into concern as he looked as his wife. “Grace, what’s wrong?”

“The baby,” she gasped, “I think I’m going into,” she gasped again and squeezed her eyes shut.

“You’re going into labour aren’t you?” Seth questioned. Grace nodded and Seth carried her bridal style and started running towards the backdoor. “Call mum!” he shouted then the door slammed. Steven instantly whipped out his phone and dialled his mums’ number. “Steven honey, what’s the matter?” Sandra, Stevens mum, asked.

“Grace is going into labour,” he replied.

Once at the hospital Seth shouted, “Someone help me! My wife is going into labour!” After that shouts of congratulations and applause were heard throughout the waiting room. A young paramedic, Josh, came rushing in with a stretcher.

“You’re wife is going into labour?” he questioned. Seth nodded and Josh instructed him to place her on the stretcher. Once Grace was on the stretcher Josh hurried her to the maternity ward. “Are there any more rooms in the maternity ward?” Josh asked hurriedly into the walkie-talkie.

 There was static then a voice saying that there were no more rooms in the ward and that he would have to take Grace to one of the rooms holding one of the patients from the crash. Seth’s face scrunched up into confusion as he stared at Josh. “What crash?” he inquired.

“There was a train crash. One hundred and fifty passengers on board and only eighty survivors. Those survivors are here at this hospital and we’ve been working left, right and centre to keep people from dying,” Josh explained. Seth nodded and ran along side Grace, clutching her hand.

Once they reached room 91 Ward F Seth ran to the door and swung it open. The little boy sitting on the chair shot up as he looked at the people who dared intrude on him and his sister and cursed inwardly as his head began to throb from his minor concussion and the cast on his left arm banged against his chest. He saw the man who introduced himself as Josh a few hours ago, wheel in a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes and a man who was beside the stretcher. Josh wheeled the stretcher across the curtain dividing the room and hiding his sister, oblivious to the young boy and his older sister. Josh parked the stretcher and gave Grace an inspection. After ten minutes of checking Josh chuckled. “False alarm. You just had a contraction. The baby might come in the next few days although. It was good that you came though,” Josh explained. Seth nodded and smiled at Grace who mirrored his expression. Josh turned around and smiled wary at the young boy. “Hey Alec. How are you?”