sixty five

The hospital's busy. There are doctors frantically running around, nurses continuously attempting the calm down the wrecked families of patients, and the constant irritating ringing of phones at the receptionist desk. I didn't have much time to dress decently when I got the call from my dad, so I just threw on one of Brendon's shirts and some black jeans. He had his arms securely wrapped around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder, the exhaustion clear on his face.

It was roughly 4am. We were both tired beyond words, and quite frankly were considering just sleeping on the hospital floor.

A few nerve wrecking minutes later, my dad walks over to me. My instant reaction is to hug him, seeing as I haven't seen him for so long, and he returns the gesture.

"Hey there kiddo." He laughs quietly, before pulling away. "You must be Brendon, I assume."

"Yeah, I'm Brendon. Pleasure to meet you, sir."

My dad chuckles. "Call me Ed. Emma never stops talking about you when I call her. It's great to meet you, you make my little girl so happy."

I blush a deep red. "I don't talk about him that much..."

Brendon laughs. "Well... she makes me happy too." He gazes in my direction, and I smile at him.

My dad looks back over his shoulder, and a look of worry immediately appears on his face. "Look, Em. Your mom's in there. She's holding up, and I'm sure she'll be fine. I was coming to surprise her and you, then she called me and told me everything..."

I bite my lip, and Brendon's hand sneaks into mine as a sign of reassurance.

"You two sit down, alright? I'll tell you when she wakes up."

After he walks away, I'm left standing in the middle of the hallway, completely unresponsive. I felt as if I was completely numb, and just lost all control of my body and thoughts. Brendon has to drag me and sit me in between his legs, kissing my shoulder gently. I tangle my fingers within his, a simple gesture that I do instantly without thinking.

"You're tensing up." He remarks, pulling me closer. "Everything's going to be okay."

"And what if it's not?" I reply in the a quiet voice.

"You're just scaring yourself. Everything's going to be okay." He murmurs against my skin, tracing shapes on my hands with his fingers. He begins to sing a Frank Sinatra song quietly, which immediately takes my mind off it and I instead focus on listening to his voice. He sings it perfect, but also so effortlessly that it's almost impossible to have such an incredible voice.

By the time he finishes singing the song, I sprawled across his lap, and he holds me against his chest, and I close my eyes in attempt to get some sleep.

-
ily guys
- m x