seventeen

"Em? Can you come get me like right now?"

"Yeah..." I yawn into the phone, propping myself up on my elbow, "What time is it?"

"It's 11:30."

"Shit. Is it really that late? Fuck I over-slept." Even though it was Sunday, this was way past the usual amount of time I sleep. "Okay, B, I'll be there in like twenty minutes."

"Okay. See you soon."

I quickly end the call, hurriedly throwing on a white shirt and some jeans. I then stumble out of my bedroom, noticing my mom is still sound asleep - she woke me up when she came back from work at 1am last night. I think it's suitable to say she's slowly turning nocturnal, with all these night shifts she's been having.

I don't bother with any breakfast, I just take my phone and walk out the door, throwing a breath mint into my mouth along the way. Being the awkward and clumsy person I am I then forget my mom's car keys and have to run back upstairs, almost falling along to way to get them.

I must have ignored at least two red lights and pissed off about ten pedestrians while driving to the hospital - not because of how terrible I am at driving, I passed my test first try, but because I knew I was meant to get Brendon about an hour ago. As usual, my lazy ass is late.

"Hi, I'm here to pick up my husband?" I say to the receptionist after parking my car (terribly) and rushing through the hospital entrance. I also guessed she would have known who I was, as I was here just twelve hours ago.

"Yes, ma'am, we'll get him to you soon. You may sit down while you wait."

I quickly sit myself down, scrolling through my Instagram and double tapping some memes occasionally. But after a few minutes Brendon comes out, and I quickly rush to see if he's okay.

"Hey, are you okay? Did you sleep well? How's your leg?"

He chuckles in response, "hey, it's okay Em. I'm fine. My leg feels a bit fucked but I'm fine."

"Come on, let's get out of here." I sign a few more papers before leaving and getting into the car.

"Sorry if I look like death, I've got no makeup on and I didn't do shit to my hair."

"You look beautiful." Brendon smiles in response, making me blush a deep red.

"Cheesy." I giggle, putting on my seatbelt and starting the engine.

We quickly set off to Brendon's apartment, singing along loudly to some 90s rock albums - in which I learned that Brendon has a voice which I could listen to for hours.

As soon as we get into the apartment, Brendon collapses on the couch in exhaustion. He didn't get much sleep at the hospital, so whilst he slept I cooked us some spaghetti and bolognese.

"Hey, B, you awake?" I gently nudge Brendon when I walk into the living room. He simply moans in response, turning his head and cuddling his pillow tighter.

"Come on, I had spaghetti."

He doesn't budge.

"Oh come on, not even food can get you up?"

This time he opens his eyes groggily, sitting up and rubbing his eyes with his palm. "How long was I asleep?"

"About half an hour."

"Ugh." He says and flops back down onto the couch.

"Ill put Netflix on if you want." I pass Brendon his large plate of spaghetti and he sits up, gratefully taking it in his arms.

He nods, and I turn on the TV and but The Big Bang Theory on. An episode in we're both finished with our food, so I quickly take the plates and put them into the dishwasher. When I get back, Brendon smiles at me, putting his phone down and I quickly sit so he has his arms around me.

He leans in, planting his lips softly on my own, perfectly fitting together. I'm unsure of what to feel - we've kissed before but this time, it's so much more meaningful.

"B, I can't- I can't do this."

"Do what Em?"

"This." I gesture towards us, "I want to, I really do. But, I'm putting your career on the line. You could go to jail for fucks sake, this is wrong."

"Why did you suddenly change your mind, Emma? I know this is not... right - but I'm willing to make it work."

"No, Brendon, you're not. Come on, your a teacher for fucks sake. We're being so immature - this is illegal, this is making me lie to people who I care about, I lied about being your wife, this isn't doing good for either of us."

"So what are you going to do, Emma? Just throw it all away? Avoid it and close the door on it? We've gone this far - I've fucked you twice, got you drunk, we've come this far. Are you really just going to throw it all away?"

"If it means safety for both of us, then- then yeah."

Brendon takes a deep breath, "I think you should leave."

I nod, taking my bag and jacket before walking to the door, "I- I need some time to think, Brendon." I say before slamming the door behind me.

A/N
lmaooooo this is so rushed and shit but ily