sixty three

"Emma? Answer your phone."

"I'm sorry."

"Emma, please answer the fucking phone."

"You're fucking killing me. Where are you?"

"I'm sorry."

"I love you."

Ashley snatches the phone away from me. "You're making yourself even more depressed."

"I know. I miss him."

"Come on, it's been like..." She awkwardly glances at her watch. "Three days."

"Maybe I should go see him. Or at least call him."

"Uh, no. We've got one more film to go through." She dangles the DVD to Beauty and The Beast in front of me. "Come on. Three days ago you were sobbing your eyes out in my bed because of him-"

"I know. I just- I really don't know. This relationship has never been easy...I mean we've been through much more than this, you know? And-"

"Do you want to go see him or not?" Ashley says simply, rolling her eyes and tossing the DVD on the glass table.

"Yeah. I do."

"Alright. Let's go then." Ashley gives me a small smile, leaving the room in a small jog and returning to throw some clothes in my face. We both quickly get dressed to look even remotely decent, and I throw on some makeup on my face to cover up the fact that I've been too busy sobbing myself to sleep for the past three days.

Twenty minutes later we're both in the car, driving steadily. It's complete silence - and seeing as Ashley was so talkative I knew that a thousand things were running through her mind right now.

"What's wrong?" I ask, and Ashley just shakes her head, not taking her eyes off the road. She stops at a red light, sighing before brushing some of the hair out of her face.

"Ash?"

"It's nothing." She glances at me for a split second.

I laugh mockingly. "I've known you for ten years, I think I know when you're hiding something."

"I don't want to upset you even more."

"You're not gonna upset me." I say in defence.

"You're really sensitive, Em." Ashley, her voice dull and flat. "Besides, it doesn't matter."

"Ashley."

"Emma."

There's a moment of silence between us, and I turn my head away from her.

"Fine. Do you really want to know?"

I nod, and she sighs once more. "You know, sometimes I have trouble understanding all of this. I mean it's you, and... our high school teacher. It's not exactly something I though would ever happen. And sometimes I feel like if it never did you'd be... I don't know. Better." She stammers, voice almost inaudible.

"So you're saying I'd be happier without Brendon?"

"No! No... well. You're 18, Emma. You should be out living life and-"

"I know. But I'd rather be in a happy relationship than out drinking my ass off and having one night stands and doing things I'd regret."

She went silent, pulling into Brendon's driveway. I roll my eyes, taking ahold of my jacket and stepping out the door.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't be with him, I just don't think now is a good time."

I slam the door shut, not looking back to see her drive away. I take a deep breathe before opening the door home.

-
ok I have no excuse for not updating for ages I've just been going trough some things right now. Thank you for 115k. ❤️
- M x