sixty four

"Brendon?" I call out, shivering at the unusually cold temperature of the room. I walk into the kitchen, knowing he's probably downing a bottle of beer right now.

Surprisingly, he wasn't in the kitchen. Or the living room. Or the bedroom. He wasn't in at all, actually. This obviously doesn't calm down my nerves, and I ended up drinking myself and taking some painkillers to ease a sudden headache I had gotten. Repeatedly I tell myself he'll be home soon, but my paranoid mind kept going to the worst of situations.

Half an hour later, I'm sat on a high stool, staring at the rain pounding on the window violently. I wasn't quite sure at what point it started raining as I had zoned out for at least the past twenty minutes. There's a sudden slam of the door, which makes me jump and crash two of the bottles against each other, making a loud noise. There's some shuffling before Brendon walks into the kitchen, his hair wet and eyes red from crying.

"Hey." He says, voice low and hoarse.

"Hey."

"I'm sorry about what I said-"

I don't let him finish his sentence, wrapping my arms around his neck. I have to stand on my toes to do so because I'm so small, and for a split second he stiffens but then melts into my arms, encircling his around my waist. When we finally clasped each other in the warm, slow hug, I felt as if all oppositions to our love had melted. His chest rising and falling against mine, our breaths in unison, and the warm blood that we could feel in each other's embrace.

"Talk about it later," I mumble into his neck. He hums in approval, lifting me up onto the kitchen counter, nuzzling his face into my neck. We stay stationary for a few moments, simply enjoying each other's company. I pull away abruptly to kiss him, before noticing a small tear on his rosy cheek.

"Don't look so sad." I poke at Brendon's nose and hold him close, brushing a strand of dark brown hair away from his face. He smiles weakly and buries his face in my chest.

"I was just scared that I had lost you." He mumbles, barely audible.

"You'll never lose me," I reply, listening to his calm breathing. I chuckle slightly, resting my chin on top of his head. "Why would you ever lose me?"

"Because you deserve so much better than me."

"And who said that? Brendon, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You make me so happy and to be honest, I think you're the one that deserves better. I love you, B. And I'm never going to leave, as long as you love me too." I laugh, kissing the top of his head.

"That's good then because I love you more than anything." He's the one to pull away this time, resting his forehead against mine. I sit frozen, both from excitement and surprise. His breath is shaking, and so is mine, and when his lips gently kiss mine, it completely stops altogether. I pull away, inhaling deeply and trying to process what had just happened. It had felt as it had been decades since I last had his lips against mine, and God had I missed it.

His hands press against my cheeks and he pulls me into a fiery and passionate kiss. My hands work their way around his body, feeling each curve and edge, each line of his perfect physique.

And in that moment, I realised that I could never leave him. Because he was my everything - everything I cared about, everything I loved and cherished and desired. I love him more than anything - and that's not going to change.