Part 38

After two hours of Mary talking, only getting one response from Riley, they walk back to the house. John and Jace are still in the living room working when the girls walk inside. Riley walks over to the books next to the fireplace and pulls out a book. "What book is that?" John asks. Riley holds it up to show them. "Edger Allan Poe.." John raises an eyebrow. "Never read it." He states.

Riley sits in the chair by the window, pulling her knees to her chest.

At the end of the day Riley and Jace walk to the third floor while John and Mary change to their night clothes. "Where did you two go earlier?" John asks.

"Just for a walk. To show her the feilds and the woods. She's been here almost a month and hasn't gotten a tour. So I thought I would be a great stepmother and show her around. We found the pond as well. I told her how sorry we were about the little bug and that we wouldve been there for her if we had known the difficulty of the situation.."

"What did Riley do?" John asks, sitting on the bed.

Mary walks out of their closet and smiles a little. "She said that it's ok. That bug is better where she is now. Kinda like she knows she's happy to be free. She didnt talk the rest of the time."

"Im surprised she talked."