Part 14

"So how old are you?" Riley asks.

"23. You?"

"Erm. Im 18."

"You look older. But as long as you're 18 thats fine."

"Well I had to mature early, mentally. To take care of my sister."

"Do you have any other siblings?" Jace takes a sip of his water.

"No i don't. Just me and my sister. Do you?"

"I have an older brother. He's 26. He didn't stay to take care of me like you did to your sister. He left as soon as he turned 17."

"Was it hard? Taking care of yourself?"

"Uh.. no. I knew how to clean and cook. I knew how to do laundry and make appointments for my doctors. I think i did pretty well."

"You seem to have done well for yourself." Jace smiles at Riley. "What?"

"Tell me about yourself. Your back story, why you're here, your hobbies. I want to know who you are." 

"Well I was born on July 8th. I love reading, writing, and painting. I got pregnant when I was 17 and had Aubrey just after my birthday. She's my world. I got to keep her with me for her first three months of her life. Then my ex took her, I agreed to let him, to keep her safe from my mom. After she went to live with him I got back on track and finished high school just recently. Then something happened, my mom blames me but all I was doing was sleeping. She had a friend druggy over while i was sleeping." Riley goes quiet. "My mom blamed me. This happened about a month ago. The  cops know my mom and said it would be better for me to leave. They told my mom to bring me somewhere so I dont cause any more problems. They told me they lied to her so she'll actually bring me. They wanted me to leave for my safety. While I was walking the stage to get my diploma, my mother was home packing my clothes and throwing all of my paintings and paints i the trash. Im just glad all my photos were put in my friends closet. But yeah, she got rid of all my things, sold my jewelry, packed my clothes. Now she tells everyone we know that I got in trouble with the police." Riley shrugs. "It's life I guess." She takes a sip of her raspberry soda. 

"Your mom sounds like a bitch." 

"She is." Riley smiles. "I think Ill be better off here. New mind, new heart."