Part 37

Riley meets Mary by the front door. Mary walks over in sneakers, Riley looks down then back at Mary, raising an eyebrow. "We're going for a walk." Mary latches her arm with Rileys. "Boys, we'll be back!" Mary yells.

They walk outside in the heat, walking past the living room windows, John and Jace watch them walk by then look at each other. "Where are they going?" John asks.

"I have no clue." Jace shakes his head.

"I'm going to show you someplace I hold dear to me, it may not seem like a lot but I love it. Your father brought me there a year after we first met." Mary explains as they walk across the field behind the house. "He was depressed, he had two children at home, I had already had three myself and his next one on the way, he fell in love with this property when he found this place. And the next day he started renovating it." They take a 15 minute walk across the field to the woods. "It's just a little further." She smiles.

Riley nods and follows Mary a small pond. "This is it." Mary takes her shoes off and steps into the water. "This is where he told me he is doing this to get his kids back, to help our kids grow and learn to work hard. He told me he would fight for you and your little sister." Mary goes quiet. "We didn't know Riley... About your sister. Your father left before she was born and we didnt know she had the problems she did have, we would've helped you take care of her. We would've done more."

Riley frowns, walking closer to Mary. "Its ok. She's better off where she is..."