Chapter Twenty-Two

Zacznij od początku

"I don't know, want to try to fight her?" James nodded at Mara, "you'll be the judge"

"Nah, already know I'd take her down not more than five seconds" Curly scoffed.

"Scared to be hit by a girl?" Tootles gave a smug as he glanced at Curly.

"Pff!" Curly huffed, "Least I won't be the first Lost Boy to get my arse kicked by a girl"

Tootles narrowed his eyes before Slightly spoke out, "Didn't Princess Lily beat you down so many times before? I do recall that one time you didn't last five seconds to stay on your feet"

Mara snorted, along with Tootles and James. "That was long time ago, she's a savage, completely different, Lily is not even a girl but a woman"

"If you say so" Slightly murmured.

"Speaking of--" Tootles began, "--I remember I got shot by her brother with an arrow on the leg"

"Wasn't your fault" Curly said, "It was bastard Nibs and others that made you cross the line"

"I know" Tootles gave a weak shrug, "Hawk almost scalp me, that was a bit scary"

"Hawk?" Mara was confused.

"Chief's only son and eldest child" James answered while chewing, "Tiger Lily's brother. You saw him yesterday, one with the bow"

Mara could barely picture the Native men she saw, she could only remember Tiger Lily clearly while barely recall the rest. She did remember the one with an eldest boy who jumped from the tree and had black painted markings on his face.

"What happens if one of us crosses the line?" She was curious.

"They take one of us" Tootles answered, "They either keep you for a while or kill you"

"We lost one of ours by them once" Curly said almost sullenly, "Poor Willy"

"Poor Willy" Slightly murmured softly.

"How did that happened?" Mara continued to ask, "So he just crossed the line then they killed him?"

Curly shook his head, "Not only crossed the line but killed one of them by accident." His voice was quiet.

"He killed one of them and they kill one of us" Slightly added.

Boys die on this land, Mara thought. "So you die out here sometimes?"

"All of them were accidents and tragic" Tootles assured, "Which is why we have rules around here. It makes Pan a little anxious when one of us don't follow them. Disobeying the rules is how they all died"

"Furious" Curly corrected. "You saw how he was when you wandered off to the Mermaid Lagoon and when you nearly crossed the line"

Infuriated for sure, Mara remembered.

They spoke quietly and softly at times so no other Lost Boy can hear what they were saying. Not even Pan, who sat near the bonfire, he had a wooden object and a knife as he was carving the object. He paid no attention to her and her tentmates.

Once the night grew late, Pan finally announced it was rest time. The greatest thing that Peter Pan has ever said, in Mara's opinion. Everyone settled into their tents, Mara followed Slightly and Tootles into their's and made her place on her hammock.

On the morrow will be her sixth day, already feels like sixty days it's been. Today was a bit different, she learnt more of this place, a bit of history which made her understand a little.

"Big day tomorrow" Curly said as he laid down on his hammock.

"What's happening tomorrow?" She questioned.

"Who the hell knows?" Curly shrugged, "Its just something I always say before I shut my eyes. Have good dreams, boys...and girl"

I suppose that's his way of saying 'Good night' or 'Sweet dreams', Mara thought. Have good dreams, she hasn't really had any nightmares for quite a while. Last time she recalled was the nightmare was on the Jolly Roger, dreamt of her father being slaughtered in Ogre Wars which she constantly has nearly every night. Since coming to Neverland, she has calm, nice dreams and dreamless for once. Like last night, she had a nice one about her mother.

Moments after the light were out, Mara still had her eyes, two boys were already snoring and the rest sounded asleep. Mara wished she could fall fast asleep like them. What kept her awake was a person walking around the camp, she guessed it was Pan, it's like that boy never sleeps.

She tried to sleep, kept her eyes closed for long moments but can't help to think of what she thought all day, giving him a chance and speak to him more often despite she disliked the plan. It could wait till tomorrow, in the morning perhaps, or whenever she's alone with him, surely there will be times she'll be alone with him.

She attempted to fall asleep again, shifted around and then found herself comfortable. But then it was all silent, even outside, only she heard snores from the boys but not Pan outside anymore. Did he left them all?

Mara's curiosity grew. Just go to sleep, just go to sleep, she told herself, sleep, sleep, sleep is what I've waited for all day.

Well, she tried. She breathed deeply into her nose then out. She got on her feet and put her boots back on. When she quietly went to the exit but stopped there for a moment to take a peek and Pan wasn't in sight.

Go back to the hammock, she demanded herself, just go to sleep.

But she still stepped out anyway.

***