26. Regrets

Sarah pulled up her hair in a careless ponytail, shoved her dirty riding clothes in her bag and rushed out of the locker room. As soon as she finished training, she told Uma that she would be late for a dentist appointment if she did not hurry. Another lie. She wondered how many more of those she would have to come up with in the future. She had been seriously considering telling Abby and Erin about Hamdan, but Uma was out of the question. She did not want to put her in such an uncomfortable situation. It was all about protecting her rider friend, not that Sarah didn't trust her.

The truth was that it was Valentine's day and she still had a lot to do. Tom had helped her plan the perfect menu before leaving and she was really excited about cooking a real dinner for Hamdan, not just macaroni and cheese. Tom also helped her out with her outfit, but that had to be modified due to the bruise that was starting to turn green. It was not pretty and she did not want Hamdan glaring at it all night long. On top of grocery shopping, now she also had to come up with an outfit with sleeves that covered her arm.

Saeed Hilal was accomplice number two. The first time she went to Hamdan's home, Saeed was kind enough to hand her his card in case she needed anything, so she was able to get in touch with him without Hamdan knowing. They agreed on following the same routine they did whenever she visited, only this time it would be earlier and Hamdan would not be there. Saeed was in charge of dismissing the staff and was also helping her set up everything for a romantic dinner on the terrace.

In her mind she was going over everything she had to do as she walked to her car; going to the supermarket, go home and figure out what she was going to wear, packing, get to Hamdan's home, set everything up at the terrace with Saeed, start dinner, take a shower, get herself ready, put the last touches on dinner and wait for him. She thought of leaving a note with a candle on the table in the foyer, with a hint so he would go up to the terrace where she would be waiting. Hamdan had been trying to poke some information out of her, but she did not cave in. He had no idea what they were doing.

Can't wait to see his face!

Sarah opened the car door and threw her bag inside but before she could get herself in, someone called her name. She looked back and it was Hassan, who seemed to be leaving too with a backpack on his shoulder and car keys in his hand.

"Salem wants to see you." He informed her.

"No! Why?" She whined. "What did I do?"

"I think you're in trouble..." He warned lowering his voice.

Her eyes widened. "What?"

He beamed and waved dismissively. "Just kidding! He had this sullen look on his face, but if you think about it, that's how he looks all the time, so... I guess you're fine," he winked.

Sarah chuckled and thanked Hassan as she started heading down to Salem's office. He was pacing up and down in the office holding his phone to the ear and a piece of paper on the other hand. She waved at him through the glass door and he signaled her to come in. She quietly sat down and waited, moving her leg anxiously.

Please, make it quick.

Either Salem was listening to the person on the phone or no one was answering his call as he kept holding it but was not talking. He finally sighed in defeat and threw the phone on his desk as he leaned against it with his head hanging low. Her eyes went around not sure of what to do.

"Is... everything okay?" She asked with caution.

His head snapped back up. "What did you do, Sarah?"

A cold shiver went down her spine. She froze as if a bucket of icy water had just been poured over her, her breathing cut short.

"Wh--" She choked. "What do you mean?"