t h i r t y - e i g h t

He knew all along that it couldn't go on like that forever

He knew all along that it couldn't go on like that forever. He hoped so, of course, but when did things ever work out like Liam wanted them to.

Something deep inside was telling him that something like this was going to happen sooner or later. He pushed it aside, though ...

It all happened in slow motion.

Liam heard it before Theo did, shushing him with one of his fingers and pushing him into one corner of his room, behind his wardrobe, where he wanted him to hide himself from any kind of visitors. Theo quickly realized this wasn't exactly a good spot to hide either and that people entering Liam's room would find him just by turning around. He looked at Liam confused, but the lost expression on his face signaled him he didn't have a better idea.

The steps were becoming louder; the person coming closer to Liam's room on the upper level of the house, and Liam looked into Theo's face with a painful expression as if crying out for help. Theo tried to stay more calm than Liam, mouthing the word relax with his eyes wide opened. The door went open in a loud bang and Liam held his breath.

Mason entered the room.

By the look at the young boy you wouldn't have expected him to be the reason for this riot, — he seemed surprisingly innocent. However, he did seem a little sceptical because of what Liam's dad had just told him and because he found Liam alone in his room, sitting up straight on his bed, rather stiff.

Liam forced a smile, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Liam, what even—", Mason began, gazing at the boy with a sign of understanding but then began looking around the room, as if he was looking for something — or someone.

Mason hoped not to find anything, and tried to trust Liam on this. Afterall, he was his best friend and should know that he could tell him anything.

When he got close to where Theo was hiding himself, Liam coughed, having Mason to turn around even more confused. But he had already seen a stand of dark blonde hair.

"What the hell Liam—", Mason said reproachful, eventhough his face was full of pity.

"What!?", Liam snapped, his pulse suddenly rising when Theo got out of the hideout and stepped next to Liam and Mason, who paid little attention to the chimera but looked at Liam being upset instead.

It all started to make perfect sense: why he was so mad at Scott for being in Beacon Hills, why he pushed Mason away; why he was being so mysterious after Hayden and him broke up, and why they never saw his lover — if there was one — in public. He had been hiding here, all along, knowing that if people saw him, let alone them together, things wouldn't have been easy.