t w e n t y - t h r e e

Is love a tender thing? It is too rough, too rude, too boisterous, and it pricks like thorn.
- romeo and juliet, shakespeare

Liam continued to skip school until he received this one specific message from Mason one morning that made him jump up from his bed and get ready within seconds

Liam continued to skip school until he received this one specific message from Mason one morning that made him jump up from his bed and get ready within seconds. He hurried so he'd be punctual for school, and managed to get there just in time.

His friends were still pissed at him for ignoring them for so long, but Liam had to keep it together this time. The reason he went back to school was not that he wanted to hang out with Hayden and the others so badly to listen to how silly exams were the one thing hauting them. The actual reason was that he just had to make sure. It couldn't be true. But it turned out it was.

"Um, Scott, what are you doing here?", Liam muttered, his bag casually hanging from one of his shoulders as if there was no sign of him ever having a social breakdown whatsoever. He couldn't have Scott being suspicious of him, that would only get him into trouble.

"Just because I am in college doesn't mean I don't have some time off to check in on you every now and then,", Scott said while looking at every one of the four juniors individually, a smile forming on his lips. Hayden, Liam, Mason and Corey put on a perfect fake-smile in order to keep the thought of being the new pack of Beacon Hills alive in Scott's mind. When in reality everything was falling apart. And the credits went to no one other than Liam himself for isolating himself all this time. The atmosphere between the friends was tensed, and under pressure with Scott being here, looking at them with pride in his eyes that they are supposedly standing on their own feet.

"I'll be at the Lacrosse training later, can't wait to see you as-", Scott addressed Liam but was stopped by Hayden standing next to him, shaking his eyes with her eyes wide opened.
Scott seemed a bit confused by this, looking back at Liam.

"Well yeah, being the captain wasn't exactly my thing.", he bluffed it off, having Corey, Hayden and Mason look at him in that way that made him regret it immediately.

Scott hesitated, and Liam thought he looked right through him, knowing he was lying. But then he nodded. "I see. Good attitude. I mean you don't have to prove yourself to anybody,", he said and approvingly tapped Liam's shoulder. "Just be yourself."

He smiled and Liam forced on in return. Easier said than done. Especially when you're Scott McCall.

Luckily Scott left them alone again in order to do whatever, and as soon as he was gone, so where Liam's friends.

Liam sighed and finally relaxed only to dial another number on his phone the next second, and with every beep having his jaw clench a little tighter.