t w e n t y - s i x

So you're a case that only a fool would take, but I'm prone to make mistakes
So take my hand, I'll show you the deepest end [...] I'll say goodnight.
— a night on the broken tiles, circa waves

F I N A L E  I I

It took him forever to get there, even when he was running as fast as he could

It took him forever to get there, even when he was running as fast as he could. His heart was beating so fast, and he hoping with every inch of his body that he wouldn't be too late. It couldn't just end like this.

It wasn't just that Liam had originally promised to get him out of the hospital in time when it was coming to the close, it was that Liam entirely pushed away the thought that it would have to happen eventually. Theo always managed to survive somehow. And it was so ironic that this time he didn't.

Nurses and all kind of visitors were looking at him like that — the way you would look at someone who was running through an entire building without stopping by for once. He didn't even take a lift and took the stairway instead, because according to him, it would take too long to wait for the lift to arrive when things were this serious. Nurses were shouting at him to walk slowly because it was just a matter of time he would crash into a patient that wouldn't be able to handle his speed.

When he finally arrived at his room — when he finally opened the door, he saw Melissa standing by Theo's bed, his eyes barely opened.

An unimaginable relief spread all over Liam's body by witnessing this picture: he wasn't too late. He rushed over to Theo's side, nearly pushing Melissa away and took Theo's hand into both of his.

His pulse was still so high that he struggled catching his own breath,— and he was just glad that Theo's strong hand still showed signs of living, eventhough the black lines had reached his lower arm by now, but also his jaw.

His once so pink lips that used to be full of life had changed into a shade of black now, entirely and not only when he was about to cough the black liquid. No actually, he had stopped coughing at all. The black color tint of his lips was rather similar to when your lips turn blue when you have been swimming for too long in cold water and are close to shaking.

"Don't. leave me just now.", Liam spoke in between breaths. He struggled keeping his eyes on Theo, because he was partly ashamed of what he was about to say and because he partly hated himself for it, but also because he was scared to see life leave Theo's eyes before he got the chance to say anything. He was shifting around on his chair, even, biting his lips that they were close to bleeding.

"You fucking know I love you man", he bursted out and Theo squeezed his hand, his eyes closing and opening every two second. His lips were slightly parted before he pressed them together again, the faint sign of a smile forming on his mouth.