t w e n t y - t w o

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
- iris, goo goo dolls

WARNING: This chapter deals with an existential crisis.

"Hey Liam it's Hayden,I'm calling because you haven't been at school

I'm calling because you haven't been at school... and, well," "Hayden!" "I got to go to class, just call me please."

Liam hasn't been in school or was leaving the house in general for quite a while. His parents thought he was sick, and were worried, for sure, but they didn't look close enough to reconsider.
Liam lived in the same four walls every minute of the day; barely leaving his bed and doing anything productive at all. Coke bottles and pizza boxes were slowly but safely filling his room, and he didn't consider putting his clean laundry into the wardrobe anymore.

His phone - that was still broken at that time - needed replacement. Thank god his mom had gotten herself a smartphone a while ago that was still somewhere in the kitchen cupboard in its original package, after she put it there because she couldn't use it as it came with no charger. So when he left his room once to get some cornflakes, he searched every inch of the cupboard for the package and eventually found it. Opening it, he found the phone still covered in its protection foil, resting on styrofoam. He took the phone and styrofoam, finding the handbook with a charger underneath. Liam raised his eyebrow and shook his head in confusion.

So when he was back in his room and had managed to detach the sim card from his messed-up iPhone in order to put it into the phone that his mother bought but never used, he turned it on and read the bold letters saying 13 new voice messages.

"This is Mason, Liam will you tell me what's going on please because I know you can't be sick... Everyone is super upset so, talk to me."

They tried to get to him, tried to understand what was going on, wanted to get Liam to talk to them.

"Hey Liam it's me, Mason — "and Corey!" — and Corey..  I feel like, we feel like... I don't know, we have to discuss this in person."

He never replied.

"Do you want me to come over?"

He didn't want Hayden to come over.

With every message he listened to, wether it was Mason, Hayden or Corey, everyone of them seemed to be more and more upset.

"We feel like you are pushing us away"

He was pushing them away.