Lone wolf

I woke to cold fingers brushing my cheek gently, stirring I grumbled into the pillow before cracking my eyes opened to a fully dressed Zak.

"Morning." He whispered.

"Why?" I asked pulling on his top.

"I've got a delivery coming for the museum, I got to head over there in a minute. I just wanted to wake you up and let you know."

I nodded sighed as the weight of yesterday came back down on me.

"How are you feeling? You didn't speak at all last night. You were constantly stirring as well." Zak asked concerned brushing my hair back.

"Okay I guess... Hurt."

He gave me a sympathetic smile "I know it does baby. But you've got your family now."

"I know. I'm just being stupid." I answered picking at the sheets.

"You wanted to be in a bosom of a family, your family. There's nothing wrong with that, but you belong in my family. Don't ever forget that."

I nodded picking up his hand and kissing his knuckles.

"Baby you look pale." Zak commented pushing his hand on my forehead. I knew in an instant when Zak was worried as my pet name came out..

"I'm fine. Probably lack of sleep, well quality of sleep and I have just woke up." I reminded him.

"Hmm maybe you are right." He pondered. I'd never hear those words again. Me? Right?!

"What's being delivered?" I asked curiously.

"A 7 foot clown." He answered looking slightly uncomfortable.

I smiled lazily "You never cease to amaze me, where on earth did you find that?"

"It's being donated, apparently it likes to move from time to time."

I gulped.

"Yeah, my reaction as well but it will be perfect for the museum." He checked his watch before sighing.

"Go on, don't be late for it."

He rolled his eyes and gave me a kiss "Be up for 1. We are gonna go do lunch."

"Ooh where are you taking me?" I asked.

"It's a surprise. Get some more sleep and I'll see you later."

With another kiss he slipped off the bed and headed out leaving Gracie to bound into the bedroom and jump up beside me.

"Hey Gray."

I giggled when a wet tongue slobbered up my cheek, I wiped it off with the back of my hand "Love you too."

*******

Going back to sleep didn't happen, because as soon as Zak left, my mind went back to yesterday's events and my stomach twisted up into a knot.

I always considered myself a lone wolf, but I had a pack, I had a family. They just didn't want me. They wanted the money I had. It was a hard pill to swallow that was for sure.