Cooking up a storm

Pushing the hair from my face I huffed looking at the oven. Out of my depth and completely clueless is two things you could say as I was on my hands and knees looking at it.

I had asked myself nearly 1000 times why I was trying to do this, when the voice in my head chimed 'Because of Zak.'

It seemed whilst his mom was here she made a small comment on him losing weight, when he revealed that I couldn't cook..... - I know, I know what you're thinking. The betrayal, the cheek, that bastard.

His mom would never. Never look at me to be worthy as his wife... if that day ever came. And why? Because I couldn't fucking cook!

I can make a mean bowl of ramen noodles! Maybe throw in a tin of fruit cocktail and whipped cream for dessert.... No?

I was never taught. Justin always trod me down when I tried in the past so I just never tried again... But now the game had changed. This wasn't Justin, this was Zak and for his mom to notice a weight loss showing I wasn't looking after him. Well, it wouldn't do.

"Listen you piece of sh-"

"Who ya talking to?"  Zak asked coming into the kitchen assessing the food on the island.

"This damn thing! What's wrong with it?" I got up annoyed.

"Why what's wrong?"

"You said I had to wait until the light went out.... The light won't go out! It's been almost 30 minutes?!"

His lips pinched into his mouth as an amused look took his face. "What?" I asked getting annoyed that he found my dilemma funny.

"That's the oven light..."

"I know." I deadpanned.

"That is to show you the food... As it cooks. It won't go out unless you turn it off." He pointed to a button and pushed it on and off demonstrating.

"But you said the light will go off when it's ready?!" I snapped feeling like a complete fool.

"Oh baby." He chuckled pulling me in by my face gently before giving me a kiss.

"I'm trying to cook here and yo- get off me." I puffed looking at the oven.

"This is the light." He pointed to a light that was off.

"So it's ready?" I asked.

"Yes Roo."

"Finally!" I sang moving away from his hands and grabbing the tray.

Pushing it in, I frowned at the buttons before slapping Zak's hands away. "I'm trying to help."

"No you're trying to take over. You told your mom I can't cook. Now I am going to learn." I intercepted his hand to the buttons again.

"Set the timer or you'll burn it."

I gasped. "Nothing will burn! The smoke alarm is my timer."

Eventually I had to let him 'demonstrate' the timer... Stupid damn button.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you." Zak spoke making me look away from the oven.

"I know, but I'm a pretty shitty girlfriend too."

He shook his head defiantly "Don't say that. It's not true."

"All your exes could cook." I countered.

"H- how would you even know?" He asked.

"Tell me I'm wrong then." I folded my arms waiting. His face went into thinking mode before he dropped the act.