Dreams and memories

A couple days later..

2am.

3am.

4am.

Slowly I moved across the couch shifting my body, feeling the pressure on my joints from having sat in the same position for so long. My eyes looked towards the bedroom, hoping, expecting and waiting for him to come out and find me. But he never did.

Ever since our spat over him wanting to spice up our sex life, I haven't spoke to him nor shared a bed with him.

I pulled the blanket tighter around my shoulders feeling the cold snapping at me.

Stop going on about the baby! It wasn't even a baby! It was nothing!

It was nothing...

I blinked back the tears as I held a small photo in my hand. My name printed across the top, the measurements down the side. My age, F for female and inside the photo.. Was a small small black blob, inside was a white mark. That white mark shaped like a little prawn was my baby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There's the baby." The nurse smiled pushing the screen to face me as she finished up taking measurements.

I looked at the screen and squinted. "Is.. really? That's it?" I asked. "All this sickness for a smudge?"

She laughed lightly "My dear, there's a lot more where that's coming from. But if you need help with morning sickness, I can refer you to see a doctor who will talk about alternative treatments to relieve it."

I shook my head "No... Bring it on."

She beamed happily at me before looking at the screen. "This is baby.." She pointed to the screen at the white curl.

"My baby looks like a prawn." I admitted causing the nurse to giggle.  "Is that normal?"

"It's perfectly normal. In fact, I would say that things are going well. Would you like to hear baby's heartbeat?"

"Yes please." I replied.

The nurse grabbed the small device and placed it on my stomach, after a whip around she paused and looked over to me as a thudding filled the air.

I felt my heart swell as the thudding rhythm was loud and clear, looking at the picture on screen I felt pure happiness and love surge in me.

That's it my little prawn. You thud away.

We spoke for a few minutes longer before the recurring alarm went off in my head. The Zak alarm..

It happened nearly every time I smiled, laughed or cried. Anything I did triggered it. 

Carrying the small photo out in my hand I pushed Zak away from my mind. I left for him, I was doing this for him...

"How'd it go?" Joe asked standing up from the waiting room chair.

"Is it me? Or does my baby look like a prawn?" I asked before sharing the laughter and heading back to my little cottage.