Finally his body relaxes, and he wraps his arms around me, holding me tightly. “I can’t lose you,” he whispers quietly, barely audible.

 “You won’t,” I whisper back.

 The lifeless feeling inside me has returned, but I don’t feel helpless. I feel more determined than ever; I am going to save Cato. Even if I don’t have a chance to win this, Cato will. He’s strong, he’s a good fighter and knows how to take care of himself. I’m not that worried about myself anymore, because this isn’t just about me. Cato and I are like one person, two halves of a whole. If I have to die, I can accept it, but I won’t let Cato get killed. I refuse to lose my bestfriend.

 So even if it means that I have to sacrifice my own life in order to save his, I will. Every time.

 *

 I sleep in Cato’s room that night, because none of us wants to be alone. Jerich doesn’t show his face until the morning after, and when he does show up, he just murmurs something about getting his jacket, and then he leaves immediately. I guess Cato’s threat struck deep.

 I go back to my room to get changed before breakfast, but Cato refuses to let go of my hand. I look at him questioningly. “What?” I ask confused.

 “I – I can’t – don’t want to let you go - “ his voice cracks at the end.

 “Cato, I’m not going to magically disappear during the five minutes that I’m away from you, I’m just going to change clothes, and then I’ll meet you in the dining room. Alright?”

 He doesn’t let go easily.

 When I come down to my room, I find Chason in front of the window, staring at it blankly. “Morning,” he greets me quietly.

 I look him up and down, searching for any emotions in his face, but find none. His expression is the definition of emptiness. “Are you trying to jump out of the window, or something?” I ask, in a lame attempt to lighten the mood.

 He smiles just the tiniest bit. “I tried, but it wouldn’t open,” he replies, but something tells me that he’s not even joking.

 I gulp. “So…uhm, are you going to have breakfast?”

 “I’m not really hungry, but suppose I have to, since they’re announcing the two – er - lucky contestants today.”

 I nod my head, not really sure what to say. So I just leave him standing by the window, and head to the dining room.

 The dining room is full already, with contestants and their stylists, but no one is talking. The tension is really, well, tense, and everyone looks like they’ve seen a ghost. Lylia sits by a table with Cato, his stylist Martinius and a few other contestants from Demetrios that I don’t remember the names of. She waves me over when she notices me. I walk over to them and sit down beside Cato.

 Lylia gives me a plate with waffles and bacon. “Eat,” she orders.

 “I’m not hungry –”

 “I don’t care. Eat.”

 So I do. But the food is tasteless, and makes me want to throw up. “So when is the announcement?” I ask Lylia, trying to distract her while hiding the food behind my back.

 She’s busy studying some papers that she’s holding; her brow is furrowed in deep concentration, and I have to call her name several times before she reacts. “What?” she asks confused.

 “When is the announcement going to start?” I repeat impatiently.

 She doesn’t have to answer, because Kornelius enters the room on cue and walks towards us. He’s dressed in a black tux today, and his hair is tied in a ponytail as usual.

 “Right now, it seems,” Cato murmurs.

 It’s like someone has sucked all life out of the room, because the silence that follows is unbelievable. I swear I could’ve heard a pin drop.

 Kornelius continues as if he’s not noticing how everyone is practically cutting him into pieces the way they’re looking at him. “Today is a big, big day, my friends,” he tells us cheerfully.

 I want to punch him, so, so bad. I know that it’s his job to do this, and that he’s not the one calling the shots when it comes to the Games, but shouldn’t he at least have enough decency to look a little sad for us? Doesn’t this man have a heart at all?

 Just then I notice how hard I’m holding my fork, and I drop it immediately, fearing that I might stab Kornelius with it if he gets too close.

 “The contestants have been chosen randomly, and the two lucky ones will have eight hours to train and prepare themselves for the upcoming fight, that will take place tonight. The lucky winner shall receive many extra points, while the loser…” Kornelius’ voice trails off.

 Cato’s hands clench to fists, and I guess that we’re both thinking the same thing; while the loser will just be dead.

 “Now, are you ready to find out which two contestants that have been chosen for the honor?” says Kornelius, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

 I hold my breath as I wait. Just get it over it, I think bitterly.   

 “The two contestants will be…” breath in, breath out, “Jerich Mindrow…”

 “Ha!” I snort when I see Jerich’s face turn white as a sheet. I wonder what happened with all his ‘I’m-so-going-to-win-this-Game’ talk. Well, he asked for this. Karma’s a bitch, right?

 Even though it doesn’t exactly bother me that Jerich was chosen, I don’t relax just yet. There’s still one more contestant… and I have a feeling that it’s going to be me.

 It isn’t.

 My heart breaks when Kornelius announces: “…and Cato Odair!”