Chapter 39. Busted.

Chapter 39

Zayn's POV

A dreamless sleep.

Something I haven't experienced in while. Being me had its perks. Yes, I got to travel the world and yes, I did what I loved. I loved that this blessing was given to me.

People think I have it all but in actuality, I don't. I don't see my loving, supportive family often. I don't have many friends even though I have a billion of them all over the world, I won't feel myself around them. It's hard for me to trust and let my guard down.

But ... being with Mia allowed me a sanctuary. She was a normal girl who had no prior feelings for Zayn Malik of One Direction. I would know since she hated me when we first met. Yes, I was skeptical of her at first but only because of those eyes. Those dark brown eyes of hers sent something foreign, nothing I ever felt for Perrie. I was afraid my walls would crumble if I had opened up to her and I had without even knowing it at all. Until she saved my life. She risked her own life to rescue me. That right there was enough for me to trust her.

She walked into my life as my wedding planner with her passionate heart in it, and she felt terrible for stealing me from her friend. She stole my heart and I could no longer let her blame herself for that. Mia did not have any intentions to take me away from Perrie. The original plan was to have Mia plan our wedding then she would be out of hair but things went haywire when we kissed on that bus. It changed everything.

Because of me, she had to start a new life. She's lost so much because of my feelings for her. She has, I'm hoping, fallen in love with me too. I'm wishing that my love for her will be enough to compensate what she's lost.

Everything I loved usually ended in tragedy somehow. Perrie. One Direction. But I was determined not to let Mia slip through my fingers. I won't let that happen. Not again. She was the one. She was the missing piece I've been yearning for.

As I opened my eyes, I found somebody lying beside me.

Mia.

Somehow saying her name gave me a sense of comfort. I've never felt this way since Perrie. Only this felt ten times greater. Not even when Lindsay was next to me.

How could she make me feel this way? How could she have so much over me? How could her mere presence fill this void I'd carved into my own heart?

I continued to lay still so that my awakening wouldn't disturb Mia's sleep. I noticed the light in the room was still on. We must have fallen asleep in each other's arms last night that we forgot to turn it off.

I examined Mia's face on the white pillow. She was not a pretty sleeper. I could see a little drop of drool coming from her mouth and the corners of her full lips stayed straight as if she was mad at something in her sleep. Probably me. She still looked beautiful to me. Her naturally dark eyebrows, her thin long lashes, her ivory skin tone, and her light pink cheeks. I moved in closer to her, easing carefully as I planted a brisk kiss on her nose.

There was nothing more than I wanted than to be with this woman. Something in her allured me and I couldn't put my finger on it. The way she laughed, the way she criticized herself, and how she put others first before her needs made her a lovely person. Over time, I had an urge to protect her. This woman who couldn't even protect herself.

I heard my phone ring from the back pocket of my jeans. Who would be calling this early?

I saw Lindsay's selfie appear on the screen and decided to pick it up. We were still friends even though we'd broken up. I clear everything with her last night before being with Mia. I couldn't be with two women at the same time. I learned from my own experience. Somehow, the last girl that I needed ended up being Mia.