Chapter 2. Nerves.

Chapter 2

Mia's POV

Stepping out of the shower, I quickly covered myself with a purple towel, trying to keep the cold air off my wet skin. After putting on my outfit, I observed myself in the mirror. There were a few more noticeable wrinkles under my eyes, my hair has completely lost its shine.

I'd really changed. Physically and emotionally. I'd never noticed it until now. I was no longer the lost teenager who felt spiteful towards everything wrong in life. And the last time I cared about the way I looked was probably secondary school. When I decided to open up my small wedding place, I threw small luxuries along with it. Trade offs, if you may.

My boring, brown hair, my dull brown eyes, my average stature. Nothing special. Just like the rest of the crowd which wasn't a bad thing. I didn't like to stand out in large crowds anyway. Maybe that's why I became a wedding planner - the bride was the center of attention while I worked in the background.

But amidst all the okay things, there was one thing I did like about myself -- my creativity. My ability to think outside the box. It was something I'd always taken for granted, I guess. Now, I was able to expand it into my career.

***

When I made my way to work, I looked up at the fresh blue skies of South Shields, the place of my childhood. I never wanted to leave here. I loved big cities, but this was where I belonged. It was peaceful with no crowded streets and no people who hoarded the sidewalks. Nothing but fresh air and nice folks.

It's been three days since Perrie asked me to plan her wedding, and she hasn't contacted me yet .. which is fine. I understood that she was a busy person. I guess that was how she'd always been - always the important one out of our little duo, the one who everyone favored.

She was more outgoing more than me. More lively. More enchanting. More .. than I ever could be.

But even if she did have the life that every girl dreamt of, I didn't want that life.

I was proud of her. I was proud to call her my friend. Even if she overshadowed me, I would never mind. In some ways, I was quite thankful that she drew the attention away from me.

***

"Good morning, Harold," I said as I walked by the front counter.

Harold was one of Linda's uncle. He was a good man - always arrived early and was very polite. He looked older than the prototype of what a receptionist would look like, but he was such a sweet guy. I needed a trustworthy receptionist; Harold needed a job. It was the perfect fit.

"Good morning, Miss Vance. I see you brought the usual cakes again."

"Yes, I did. The devil's chocolate," I said, setting the box on the countertop.

"Looks delicious. I'll put it in the break room in a bit," Harold took the bag and set it aside by his monitor.

"Any calls?" I asked flipping through the junk mail.

"Not yet, Miss."

"Appointments?"

He checked his blue notepad.

"You have one at ten with the Suters and another at two with the Chaplins."

"Thank you. Send them up when they arrive please, will you?" I requested while walking pass the desk towards the working area where everybody else resided.

"No problem, Miss Vance."

Ugh, Miss Vance. I hated it when people called that. It made me sound like I was forty years old or something. I told him to call me Mia countless times but he claimed he was more comfortable this way. He'd prefer to call me Miss Vance for formality. I guess it worked but he was the only exception. Nobody else could ever call me that, or they will never hear the end of it.