Chapter 38. Soulmate.

I dedicated this to @MicaAndrea21! You're such a loyal reader and I'm so glad that you ship Zia! & you were the first to come up with their ship name! I love it <3 I hope you continue reading til the end .. Thank you!

Chapter 38

Mia's POV

I groaned in my sleep as I reached over to turn off the shrieking alarm clock. The sunshine radiated through the white curtains of the large window and a smile unknowingly formed on my lips.

Was it the beautiful weather that triggered this happiness?

Was it all a dream last night?

Just thinking back to the moment where our bodies were so close made me giggle like a teenage girl who just got asked to the prom by her high school crush.

Crap. Was Zayn still here with me?

I quickly turned my head to see that the other side was still made up nicely. He must have left in my sleep.

How could he possibly wake up so early?

I chuckled at the thought. Well, it was a relief to see him out. I wouldn't want him seeing my dreadful morning look anyway, and if Mark had found us like this, I'd be fired on the spot.

Fired. Oh my god. What was I doing?

Mark would kill me instead if he did find out. I would definitely lose this job and never see Zayn again. The thought of losing him was unbearable to think about.

But I couldn't go back on my words. I said I wouldn't push him away anymore. I promised I would never leave him. We already crossed that line, and there was no looking back. Not this time.

I get up to use the washroom, ridding myself of such thoughts and found a pink sticky note on the door.

"Meeting with Mark and George. I'll call you up later. Don't think too much. x"

I smiled at his sloppy penmanship, appreciating his concern. He knew I would be curious to where he was off too.

Why did they have a meeting? And without me?

Maybe rehearsal?

I heard my phone ring and rushed to it by the nightstand thinking it might be Zayn calling. I was so excited I didn't even glance at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mia." It was Harry's voice to my disappointment.

"Oh, hi Harry." I tried to disguise the sadness but failed when he confronted me about it.

"You're disappointed. And don't even think about denying it because I know disappointment when I hear it," I could picture his grin knowing he was right.

"You got me. What's up?"

"I have a cab ready for you downstairs and I'll be waiting at Navy Pier."

"Wait, what? I thought you left already?"

"It's a secret," he discreetly added before hanging up, leaving me baffled and slightly suspicious. I debated on whether I should go see him, still skeptical of his sudden scheme. I wasn't that mean to stand him up though. I still felt guilty about the things I said to him.

Oh well, with another day off, it wouldn't hurt to spend the day with Harry than stay here by myself at the hotel.

***

As soon as the cab arrived at the pier, I could see people already at the tourist site. The sky was cloudless, only the sun was visible through the atmosphere, yet the cold windy air from Lake Michigan obscured the warmth rays of the sun. No wonder Chicago is known as the Windy City.