Chapter 30. Us 2.

Chapter 30

Zayn's POV upon request **

How does it feel to lose someone you care about?

I think I just figured it out.

Seeing Mia collapse right in front of my eyes was the kind of moment where time stopped and silence filled the air. It all happened so fast as I ran to her side, trying every possible way to wake her I could but she was unresponsive.

I repeatedly called out her name, still no response. I yelled for George who immediately appeared, along with Laura behind him.

She was the least of my problems as of right now.

I ordered George to call my personal doctor while I carried Mia over to my made up bed. I placed two fingers over her wrist to check for a sign of a pulse. It was weak, but at least she was still alive. As I examined her pale face, my thoughts began to stray.

What if she never wakes up?

Did I go too overboard?

The next couple of hours, waiting outside the room was torture. I wanted to know her condition. I wanted to know the reason why she collapsed. I didn't even have the ability to sit still, so I paced back and forth in the hallway. I tried to distract myself with happy thoughts and the artistic pictures I had put up on the walls, but they were no help. I couldn't take my mind off of Mia.

A large body was walking towards me and the only person I knew who was that big could be George.

"You hanging in there Zayn?"

"Trying."

"Look. I know this is none of my business but what was the deal with you and Mia?"

"I can't explain it." I didn't want to explain it. "Not right now."

"That's cool. But there's one thing I don't understand. Mia's just your bodyguard. If she's only a person of the past, then she shouldn't be that important to you, why are you so worried?"

George was right. Why was I so worried about her? We had promised to start over. She was just my bodyguard.

"Mia's ... A friend," I nervously suggested.

"I suppose that's a reasonable answer. I just hope you're not in love with Mia because you know what would happen if Mark found out."

I hadn't even thought about what Mark would say.

"There's nothing to worry about. Love is irrelevant to people like me and Mia. There's history between us but it's the kind where it doesn't bring us closer together. It keeps us apart," I explained.

"I see," he nodded slowly.

"What would happen if Mark assumes Mia and I are you know .. More than what we are?"

"Mia would be fired."

From behind George, I saw the brown haired teen making her way towards us.

"Can I talk with you before I leave?" Her voice was soft and timid. I've already heard enough of her apologies yet I was still afraid of her. There was no way I was going to be in the same room with her alone.

I forced George to accompany while we sat in the back porch on the patio furniture. The sun was hidden behind the clouds while the wind provided a cool breeze.

"Say what you need to say," I huffed. She hasn't said anything for the past two minutes.

"I'm sorry. If it wasn't for me, Miss Vance wouldn't be in this situation."