Chapter 18. Winds.

Chapter 18

Mia's POV

I was staring right into those eyes of his, unsure of what he was thinking. How did I ever come to like a person like him? How did I allow someone like him to furrow a way into a spot in my heart?

He was intentionally planning to hurt me. Saying that he wanted to protect me. What bullshit.

"Where you going Mia?" He asked once I got up from the sofa.

"To the ladies room. Excuse me." I walked behind him but he stopped me from opening the door with his voice.

"You shouldn't go out there. Too many people will notice you. There's one right through that door," Zayn pointed to the one across from me.

It was the only other door in the room. I continued on my way before saying anything else. I wanted to confront him but I remembered how I was never good at that stuff.

I looked at my reflection in the large mirror stretching across the long sink, my hands leaning on top of the counter. These past few weeks have been such a dramatic change in my life.

Who have I become? I wasn't myself at all. I've been so anxious, happy, yet flustered every time at Zayn came around. I no longer felt motivated to work. I felt selfish and scared all at the same time.

Every time I ran into Zayn, I became greedier and greedier. Wishing to be at his side like a normal girlfriend would. Even though I knew he still loved Perrie, I was secretly hoping he had fallen for me too and I was foolish to think he was sincere.

This whole time I haven't thought about my parents. They would have definitely seen me in the news by now as the mystery girl. But why would they concern their lives with me? They never cared about what I did anyways.

Zayn's POV

When I returned to the private room, Mia looked surprised to see me. She stood up immediately at when I walked in so I assumed she was heading somewhere. Luckily, it was just the bathroom.
I sat on the couch and looked for my phone.

Which was not in its original place.

I remembered setting it on the coffee table. I searched everywhere and found it lying on the ground.

How could it --?

Mia?

I turned on my phone to see the text messages between Perrie and I on the screen. Fuck.
Did Mia find out about--?

"I'm not stupid Zayn. I'm a smart businesswoman." I remembered the words she said last night.

Mia knew.

There was no way my phone could have fallen from the coffee table by itself. But Mia didn't know the whole truth.

She didn't know that I wasn't going to go through with it. She didn't know that I was the one who stalled the post conference. I postponed it because I was afraid. Afraid that I would regret breaking her heart.

God, I'm such a coward.

I knew that Mia was going to leave on her own and that I was going to fly to L.A. to see Perrie.
But .. I thought stalling time would give me a little more time with Mia and to think about my actions.

Thirty minutes passed and I was starting to worry about her. I was pacing back and forth when the next fifteen minutes passed. The bathroom door opened and my victim finally stepped out.
"You look great." I never complimented on how beautiful she looked.

"Thank you. You're not too bad yourself," she replied normally. That's just it. She was acting too normal. As if our almost kiss never happened. As if she didn't know about my intentions to break her.