Part 38

Credence trembles hard while hugging his knees, tears running down his cheek.

He's been waiting for Casey to tell him what is going on but after a week, still there's no news from Casey. Credence had lost his appetite since then, looking rather pale and exhausted.

Newt sighs heavily while looking at Credence. He has regarded Credence as his own younger brother, so to see Credence in such state, his heart shattered into pieces.

He was about to owl Casey before, but then retracting his decision as he doesn't want to add burden to Casey. He trusts her. He knows Casey would explain everything later to Credence.

Newt walks hesitantly before walks towards Credence. He kneels in front of him before slowly pulling him into his embrace, hugging him tightly, consoling Credence that everything is going to be alright.

*****

It's midnight. Yet, Casey couldn't sleep at all. She stays at the top of the astronomy tower for almost two hours by now, trying hard to make up her mind regarding her tangled relationship. 

But nothing comes to mind.

Casey quickly freeze when she hears footsteps coming towards her. She wants to hide, frightens that it might be Filch but before she could take her first step, Dumbledore's inner voice can clearly be heard.

'I thought I heard someone here...'

Casey wonders whether she should just stay because it's Dumbledore after all, but to think that Dumbledore can still give her punishment for staying late after curfew, she slowly walks away, trying hard to stay within the darkness.

"Casey..."

Casey swallows hard. She hesitantly turns around to see Dumbledore's confused look fixed on her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry professor... I can't sleep... I should go now..."

Casey is about to walk away, praying hard that Dumbeldore won't punish her for this but her steps quickly halt when again Dumbledore called for her.

"Casey... Do you think you can just walk away like that?"

Dumbledore walks towards Casey before sitting awkwardly by the window sill, patting the place besides him as to ask Casey to sit.

Casey is hesitant at first but as she detects no harm from Dumbledore's intention, she slowly takes a seat.

"I heard about your engagement. I was quite dissapointed to think that you haven't talk to me or Headmaster Dippet about it..."

Casey gulps. She has forgotten about these two men that are always there by her side when she needs them. She should have talk about it with them but her mind is too preoccupied with the so called 'tangled relationship' issue.

"I'm sorry Professor..."

Casey replied guiltily while looking towards Dumbledore sadly.

Dumbledore simply chuckles at Casey's expression.

"It's okay. I couldn't blame you. I know there are lots of things inside your mind right now..."

Casey inhales deeply before looking towards her hands, which seems rather interesting at the moment. She lets out a small sigh before starts to speak.

"What should I do Professor?"

"You like him don't you? Well, by him, I mean Credence not Terry..."

Casey smiles a bit before nodded slightly. There's no point of asking how did Dumbledore knows about it, for Casey knows it's one of Dumbledore unique ability. He knows things that happened around him, without having to be a legilimen, or owning an invicible cloak like Terry.

"I know your father very well Casey, he was my classmates back then. I know he won't agree to such relationship between you and Credence..."

Casey nods in agreement. She could figure that part by herself. The thing is, she couldn't bring herself to make such decision. For once in her life, she wish she could make her own choice for her own happiness.

"Sometimes in life, you'll face situation with no choices. At the time, you yourself have to create one..."

"And what does that mean sir?"

Dumbledore simply stands up, making Casey looks at him with confusion.

"Well that is for you to figure out... As for now, please go back to your room, its getting late..."

Dumbledore smiles before steps towards the stairs, leaving Casey still in her confusion.

*****

Terry is doing his Transfiguration assignment when he notices Casey coming towards him. He quickly puts away his quill and parchment, welcoming Casey with complete focus.

"Casey..."

Casey takes a seat opposite Terry, ignoring the glares and sneers from other Gryffindors at the table. She detects Terry's guilt about the thing before so she quickly shook her head.

"There's nothing you should be sorry for Tarius..."

Terry gulps before realizing that he exposed himself too much. He hesitantly smiles.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Casey simply nods her head. She could feel Terry's slight anxiousness at the situation. After the engagement news, things have become rather awkward for both of them. They were both silent for a few minutes, trying to find the right way to iniatiate the conversation.

"Is there anything I can help you then?"

Terry finally blurted out. His eyes full of concern. Casey swears she could feel Terry's affection at the the time and that unknowingly makes her smile.

"Tarius, will you go to the ball with me?"