Part 27

Casey can't help but to remember the smell of Amortentia, of blood, ashes and tears.

She knows exactly what they meant.

Blood.
Credence's blood, when he was abused by his mother. Casey saw it in her vision, Credence was covered in blood, being beaten harshly by his mother when he accidentally asked her about why they have to hate witches.

Ashes.
Credence turned into ashes when the American Aurors hexed his Obscurus form, then he reborn, in a form of black smoke before he landed in the Forbidden Forest.

Tears.
Credence's tears from countless cries. Before and after he meets Casey. He still cries on random occasion, like when Casey gives him a charm bracelet which he can use it to call upon Casey, or when Newt told him he is gifted in magic.

Casey knows that the amortentia's smell refers to Credence. She just cannot understand why.

Deep inside her heart, she knows she is fond of the boy. She wants to help and care for the boy. But she doesn't think that can be considered as love. She sees that as a mere affection, for someone as broken and vulnerable as Credence. Frankly, she sees her own reflection in Credence. They have so many things in common.

But her affection...
Is it enough to be considered as love?

It's not in the same way Arcturus looks at Melania or Tarius looks at Casey herself.

This 'feelings' that Casey feels is rather bizarre, she supposed. She had the urge to protect Credence, she had the urge to make Credence smiles and feels safe. She wanted to be with Credence all the time.

But, at the same time...

Casey hates those scary thoughts that always lingers in Credence's mind. She hates the tingling pain each time Credence touches her. She hates it when she feels happy with Credence.

Simply because...

She is afraid of what may come. She is afraid that Credence's heavenly smile cannot last forever. She is afraid that they can't be together. Not just because Credence is an Obscurus or Casey is a legilimen, but because she's Black.

She's Cassiopeia Hesper Black of the noble and most ancient family of Black.

She has no right to choose who she wants to be with.

That is why...

Casey refuses to see her affection as love.

For...

She can't fall in love with Credence.
She can't bear the consequences.