Racism/Prejudice

The next day, the gang had arrived to Mr, Matthews and sat in their original seat. Zay hasn't talked at and it was worrying everyone especially Maya who was mad that Zay is being treated like this and upset that she can't do anything.

Just as Maya was about to ask Zay how he's doing so far. Mr. Matthews arrived and noticed the group of friends and how serious they looked right. He then faced the chalkboard and wrote today lesson.

"Mr. Babineaux can you tell us what today's lesson is." Cory asked, "I don't know Mr. Matthews." Zay answered as he avoided contact. "Zay, its on the board." Cory replied with soft tone as Zay looked up and was shocked to see what was on the board.

"Racism/Prejudice!" Zay said shocked to see it in the board. "Today will be learning about Racism/Prejudice, now can anyone tell me what the difference between racism and prejudice is?" Cory asked and Maya raised her hand, "Yes, Mrs. Hunter." Cory said.

The difference between the two are that prejudice is unreasonable feelings, opinions, orattitudes, especially of a hostile nature,regarding an ethnic, racial, social, orreligious group. And racism is hatred or intolerance of another race orother races." Maya explained as she looked at Zay who was just playing with his pencil.

"That's correct, Mrs. Hunter throughout history their has always racism as well with prejudice. For example, in 1680
Millions of Native Americans were also enslaved, particularly in South America. In the American colonies in 1730, nearly 25 percent of the slaves in the Carolinas were Cherokee, Creek, or other Native Americans. From the 1500s through the early 1700s, small numbers of white people were also enslaved by kidnapping, or for crimes or debts." Mr. Matthews explains as he tells the class about a racism event.

"As, for prejudice can anyone give me a example of one?" Cory asked and Maya once again raised her hand. "Mrs. Hunter, what is one example?" Cory asked, "Boo Radley in the book "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee kept to himself because of prejudice towards him because of his troubled past. He was only timid and turned out to be nothing like people's perceptions." Maya answered surprising the class.

"Very good, Maya." Cory replied impressed by Maya answer, "Well, I did have a great senior year English teacher." Maya said as they were reminded of Harper and the wonderful lessons they learned, Farkle then raised his hand.

"Mr. Minkus do you have another example for us? Cory asked? "During World War 2, the Nazis used not only racist arguments but also arguments derived from older negative stereotypes, including Jews as communist subversives, as war profiteers and hoarders, and as a danger to internal security because of their inherent disloyalty and opposition to Germany." Farkle explained sadly on what his ancestors had to go through.

"Throughout History people judged you by the skin of your color, race even though they didn't you they'll take on look at you and instantly think that your dangerous and and then you weren't treated equal as the rest. Then on December 1, 1955 an African-American had to give up their seat for a white person since their where no available seats for the person also because the front of a Montgomery bus was reserved for white citizens, and the seats behind them for black citizens. But instead of giving up their seat the person refused. Can anyone tell me that person name?" Cory said as he faced the class.

"Rosa Parks." Zay answered as he faced Mr. Matthews who smiled at him, "That's correct, Mr. Babineaux, and do you know what happened next? And the result of the outcome?" Cory asked.

"Rosa Parks was arrested and was later bailed out of jail but when word got out of what she did President Nixon had found out and convinced Parks—and her husband and mother—that Parks was that plaintiff. The blacks of Montgomery would boycott the buses on the day of Parks' trial, Monday, December 5. By midnight, 35,000 flyers were being mimeographed to be sent home with black schoolchildren, informing their parents of the planned boycott." Zay explained.

What was the outcome, Mr. Babineaux?" Cory asked but received silence. "Zay, I know that you know the answer." Cory stated.

"On November 13, 1956, the Supreme Court ruled that bus segregation was unconstitutional; the boycott ended December 20, a day after the Court's written order arrived in Montgomery. Parks—who had lost her job and experienced harassment all year—became known as "the mother of the civil rights movement." Zay answered and Cory smiled.

"Your correct, Mr. Babineaux." Cory replied proudly. "Mr. Matthews no offense but why are we learning this? I mean we were already taught this stuff." A random student asked curiously, "That's a excellent question, Mr. Parker, the reason we're learning this is because I want you all to know that if your ever being harassed because of your skin, color or anything at all you just don't stand and take it you fight back with words showing them that their wrong and what you say won't stop you! So stand up for yourself and don't let them get away with it." Cory explained as he looked at his students.

"Class is dismissed, I'll see you all next week have a great day." Cory said as his students left minus Zay and Maya.

"Guys just wait outside I want to speak to Zay outside and if it starts becoming bad then you come and help me out." Maya whispered they looked at each and nodded and hesitantly walked out the classroom.

Cory stood and watched Maya and Zay both face to face with each other with a serious look on both of them.

"I hope that Mr. Matthew, has helped you see Zay that we should stand up and take action and that we're here for you just like you always been their for us!" Maya said hoping it will get through Zay just as Maya was about to speak once more. Zay stuck out his hand and Maya instantly smiled. They then did their signature handshake

Once their handshake was done the two hugged and everyone smiled seeing the two hug

Once their handshake was done the two hugged and everyone smiled seeing the two hug. They let go and Maya looked up, "You ready, Zay?" Maya said with determination. "Yeah, let's do this!" Zay said determined.