The Scars Within {24}

“EJ, you ass!” Brewer snapped and chucked a baseball at my head. I shrank down and it narrowly missed hitting me in the head. I stood up straight and glared at Brewer.

                “You’re fucking dead,” I growled before taking off after him. He tried to get away from me, but I was faster than him and managed to take him to the ground. I sat on him and punched him in the face.

                “You threw it at me first!” he whined and tried to knock me off of him. I stood up and roughly yanked him to his feet. He rubbed his shoulder and took his glasses off. He cleaned the lenses with his shirt and wet his lips nervously.

                “I, uh, I have to go EJ. My dad’s going to be home soon and I have to make dinner,” he said with a sigh. I nodded and waved to him as he walked away.

                I went into my house and my mom smiled at me. “Hi EJ. Got any plans for the day?” she asked and I shook my head and shrugged before heading into my room. I’d probably stop by Bass Drop later and see if there was anyone there to fuck around with.

                Lionel had been in his coma for over 3 months. I kept visiting him, but it was hurting so much. He just wouldn’t wake up. My mom and Tommy had sat me down about a month ago and begged me to try to move on. They said they didn’t want me to be so depressed all the time. So, for the sake of my mom, I was trying to move on.

                Andy and his dad had stayed an extra week, but gone back home. They were here again for another one of Mr. California’s business trips, and Andy was constantly at the hospital. He and I weren’t friend by any means, but we didn’t fight as we sat next to Lionel at the hospital.

                I mentally sighed and jumped up, not wanting to wait around and think about Lionel like this. It depressed me. I missed him so much.

                “Are you going out EJ?” Tommy asked curiously as I walked out of my room. He and my mom were sitting on the couch together, watching some movie on Netflix. I nodded.

                “I’m going to head on over to Bass Drop and see if Brad or someone is there. Maybe Brewer will come with me after he eats dinner,” I said with a casual shrug.

                “EJ, smile. Please,” mom said quietly. I forced a smile onto my face, hating to see my mom upset. She had done and been through a lot with me, and I never wanted to upset her.

                Her eyes shone brightly with concern and Tommy put an arm around her. “Are you okay EJ?” she asked and I nodded.

                “Yea mom. I’m fine,” I lied with a smile. “He’s okay. Now go out and have some fun with your friends EJ,” Tommy said with a grin. I laughed and waved to them before leaving the house.

                I made my way to Bass Drop and looked around until I spotted Brad. I went over and sat next to him. His friends glanced at me nervously, but I just didn’t give a shit. I’d rather have them hate me than pity me.

                “How’s Lionel?” Brad asked as casually as he could. He usually asked me that whenever he saw me now. I hadn’t hit Brad, or anyone for that matter, in a while. Other than Brewer, but Brewer wasn’t afraid to hit me back.

                “I don’t give a flying fuck. He could be up and jumping around or back in surgery for all I care,” I snarled. But that was a complete lie. Of course I cared. And it was killing me. I wanted to just run home and curl up on my bed, never moving again. Lionel.

                “Oh. Uh, want a drink?” he asked and I nodded. He jumped up and got us drinks. I drank with him and his friends, and we talked and fucked around. I felt like my old self again. The tough EJ. His friends were giving me nervous stares, and I felt in control again. I hadn’t really felt that way since Lionel had gotten here.

                “Brad, I’m leaving,” I growled and stood up. “See you EJ,” he said and gave a short wave. I gave a short wave back before leaving Bass Drop.

                I hesitated and sighed before walking to the hospital. I would visit Lionel, and then that was it. My parents were right. I had to move on. And after tonight, I knew that I could move on. I could go back to being the big shot of the town.

                I entered the hospital and went to Lionel’s hospital room. His parents looked over at me and smiled happily. My eyes widened as Lionel’s eyes rested on me and a terribly weak grin came on his face.

                “EJ,” he croaked weakly and winced in pain. His mom kissed his forehead. “Sh, Lionel. Don’t talk. Save your strength,” she said gently, holding his good hand.

                He sank heavily on his pillows and I saw him fighting to keep his eyes open. His eyes locked on my revealed one, and he gave me that terrifyingly weak grin again.

                “Hurts. Had worse,” he wheezed and coughed. “Lionel, just rest,” his dad begged. Lionel coughed again and winced in pain.

                “I have…a…big…mouth,” he managed and sank against the pillows even more, looking exhausted. Just from trying to say a few words.

                “I know you do. But you need to shut up for a little. You’re too weak right now to talk,” his dad said patiently. Lionel opened his mouth, winced, and snapped it shut. His eyelids dropped and he weakly forced them back open, trying to look into my eye again.

                I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t see him like this. He was in so much pain, and he could clearly slip back into a coma at any second. I couldn’t be happy that he was awake, because god only knew how long it would be before he was back in a coma. I couldn’t deal with that. So instead, I simply turned and hurried out of his hospital room, wishing I had never met Lionel.