chapter 50

zoe's pov
"they're coming! get down!" i whisper, making hand gestures to lower all the guests to the floor.

this surprise party was quite like mine, but i was okay with it- katherine loved mine, so we wanted to do the same for her.

"three... two... one... SURPRISE!" everyone jumps up in sync, startling katherine. "happy birthday!" i exclaim, hugging her.

"oh my goodness! thank you!" she looks around, shocked. "this is so cool!" she giggles, pointing at the candy table. "pick and mix!"

i laugh and grab her hand, squeezing it, not too hard and handing her a card. "happy birthday bestie." i say to her, smiling.

she opens the card, and tears form in her eyes. "thank you." she whispers, throwing her arms around my shoulders.

"ah, but that's not all. follow these clues for your biggest surprise of the night." i say, handing her a small sheet of pink paper. "read it aloud." i say to her.

"you have a great surprise waiting for you. follow these clues to lead you to it. clue number one, one of the blonde ladies in the room is waiting for you to follow them. which one is it?" she looks around. "i'm debating whether it's louise, anna or grace." she laughs, biting her thumb nail. "i'm going to go with louise." she runs- waddles- over to louise, "is it you i must follow?"

"it is indeed. happy birthday, by the way." she laughs, air kissing her cheeks.

louise takes hold of katherine's hand, as do i, and we make our way onto the next clue.

"what's your dad's favorite candy from the table of treats? work it out and take hold of one." i read out to her, and her eyes light up.

"strawberry laces!" she exclaims, making her way over to the sweet table. "i'll take a few with me." she says, picking up some.

"okay, final clue," i inform her, unfolding the piece of paper.

"what is your family tradition? you need to go outside with everyone following you, and get them all to perform it with you. this will lead you to your big surprise." louise says loudly, and takes a microphone from dom. "guys, it's time! follow us!" then hands the mic back to him.

"they know about this?" katherine asks me suspiciously.

we open the fire escape doors which leads out to the patio.

"our family tradition is having a great feast on every birthday, right?" a loud voice comes from round the corner.

"oh my god. no. way." katherine covers her mouth as her family attacks her in hugs and kisses. i feel my eyes welling up watching them share this moment together, and i can't help but join the group hug. then so does everybody else at the party.

"i love you guys." katherine says, mascara running down her cheeks.