Chapter Eighteen: Happily Ever After?

• Dedicated to EVERYONE'S WHO'S READING!!!

*Lucinda’s POV*

“Luke Maureen.”

The name replayed in my mind over and over, like a warning. I had to get away from him quick if I valued my life.

My hands trembled as I clenched them tight. The way he stared at me, it was the way a predator watched his prey. His eyes, they held this tint of iciness. 

“What is your sister’s name?” I asked, fighting to keep my voice calm and controlled. It was a hard struggle; I was less than a few feet away from this psycho.

“Jessica Maureen.” He answered curtly, glancing around again. The way his eyes slid over, jumping from one place to another scared the living wits out of me.

Oh lord, he’s found her out.

“Never heard of her before,” I lied. No matter how scared I was of this freak, I was going to protect Jessie in any way I could. I owed her this. “And I’ve lived in this town all my life, trust me there’s no girl named Jessica in this entire town.”

Sighing, he threw a hand into his hair and pushed it back. The action would have stunned any girl watching, he was a handsome guy. Except his handsomeness also displayed the “I had a feeling she wasn’t here, or anywhere really.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, feigning curiously. I was too scared to do anything other than try to keep my voice controlled and inch away from him slowly.

“She went missing almost a year ago. We’ve been tracking her credit card transactions and such, but it’s going all over the place.”

“Tracking her?” I asked with eyes wide open.

“Yeah, her fiancée Rubin, or soon to be fiancée—” he broke off and looked at me, with a forced smile. However, that fake smile of his couldn’t hide the venom and rage in his eyes. He looked like he was going to strangle me on behalf of his sister.

His cold brown eyes, they were like round disks of poison. Filled with hatred, with twisting thoughts it frightened me that his eyes were that expressive.

“Soon to be fiancée? You made it sound like she had no choice about the future marriage.” I accused, offended.

“Women don’t have a say in who to marry. Women should shut the fuck up and do as you’re told and then you won’t be beaten to a pulp.” He snarled, mouth twisting as his eyes narrowed in rage.

“He didn’t even get the chance to meet her; the stupid bitch ruined everything by running away. Or she got kidnapped, I don’t really care,” he shrugged, easily discarding his blood relation away like that.

“I’m only checking around to see if her credit card was stolen, or if the whore is dead. And if not… well then, I’m paying a dear old visit to my little sister when I find her.” A smile tainted by insanity, because no sane human could be this cruel towards anyone.

“Why are you telling me all of this? Aren’t you afraid I’ll tell someone what you’ve done?” I threatened him, swallowing the hard lump that seemed lodged in my throat.

“What are you going to do? Run to the police? I’ll snap your little neck before you can even have the chance to move.” He promised, rolling his eyes at the thought of me doing anything useful.

Bastard.

“Even if you managed to tell someone, how are you going to support your claim? There’s no body, no written statements against me, no Jessica to go against me. Nothing.” He grinned at his handiwork; I felt my rage rise up.

He must have beat Jessie so hard she was too terrified to tell anyone, or even leave a note on who was abusing her.