Chapter Fifteen: The Breaking Of Two Hearts

*Jessie's POV*

"M-Maureen is um. . ." I stuttered, my tongue had frozen and I could no longer make any noise, I could no longer feel it in my mouth. It was like my tongue was numb with utmost fear.

How...how did she find out?

"Yes?" she said a little too sweetly, prolonging the word to intimidate me. I swallowed and looked back at Cam, who only crossed his arms-glancing at Lucinda with suspicion and looked at me hopeful for an answer.

I swiftly glanced at Lucinda, who wasn't smirking or looking scheming, she just looked troubled to have to do this to me.

Cam raised a questioning eyebrow at me and opened his mouth to speak, however before he could say a single word he was cut off by Marcus and Tyler, who's exposed skin were splashed with blood as they rapidly approached us. "Cam-dad's in the hospital."

At this very moment, it felt like a slow haze had taken over my brain. I followed their actions as they ran out of the stable in hurry, tried inclining my head a bit higher and ran faster to match their pace to hear what they were snapping out.

"What happened?! I didn't hear anything!"

"Dad was helpin' out Perry then he looked away for a single second-"

"Next thing we know he's down on the ground-"

"And the goddamn horse is stomping on him-"

"Perry got knocked out cold-"

"Ma is screaming her head off-"

"Had to get the workers to get that demon horse away from them both-"

"Where's Susanne? Is she alright?"

"At the hospital along with ma-"

Those were the only snippets of the conversation I heard as we ran swiftly to the parking lot. I hoped that Perry and Jack were okay, but I knew that was a long shot; and good lord...stomped on by a horse?!

Cam and I rode in his car, a bloody Marcus and Tyler in theirs and what shocked me a little was Lucinda, coming along in her car. I don't know why she was coming along with us, maybe to get herself closer to Cam to rile me or was she genuinely worried for Jack and Perry's health?

As soon as I stepped a foot inside the hospital, it was like the slow haze had sped so blindingly forward. Everything was a blur, streaks of white coats zooming by and the awful stench of disinfectant, terror and death hung in the air as it floated and attacked my senses.

We waited for the nurses to tell us where the hell Jack and Perry were, and I was listening into stressed out doctors and nurses snapping out orders to each other. Today was a prime day for accidents; a car collision down on Merry Wood Street had left two passenger's in critical condition and one driver dead at the scene.

Then there was a kitchen fire explosion, which left a father and two of his daughters with second degree burns. You could hear the helpless yelps of pain as the hospital staff tried to treat their patients.

We passed room after room until we reached Jack's room, where a close to breaking down Mary was comforting a crying Susanne.

"Oh thank goodness you're all here!" Mary said, throwing her arms around Cam and her younger sons. They hugged back, trying to comfort her as I walked over to Susanne and tried to calm her down. Mascara tinted tear tracks streaked down her beautiful, radiant face as she sobbed into my neck.

"He'll be fine ma." Cam lazily said to his mother as if he knew his father would definitely be okay.

"You don't know that! He could have a punctured lung." Mary snapped, though her anger wasn't directed at her eldest son.