Chapter Three: You Wait Your Turn, Smart Ass

Well I was walking down the street

Just a having a- drink

When a snake of a guy gave me an evil wink

He shook-a me up, he took me by surprise

He had a pick-up truck, and the devil’s eyes

He stared at me, and I felt a change

Time meant nothing, never would again

Cam’s POV

That evil, disturbingly beautiful, annoying, rude, childish wench! How dare she call me a horse molester?!

“Cammy, can you get the cups outta the cub board? Thanks darling.” Ma asked, I turned around and grabbed a handful of glass cups out, handing them to her two at a time.

“So, what are we having today?” I asked, sitting down on my usual spot. That evil wench was giggling, talking with Tyler. Him of all people!

“Hash brown casserole.” Ma answered, opening the oven to check on it. I heard everyone exclaim about the dinner, all except for the stable hand.

“So, where you from?” I asked her politely, she looked up at me quickly.

“Australia.” She said tentively, she’s like a little bunny round me. So jumpy.

“Why you here?” that might have come out rude.

“Horse riding, then your mother offered me a job here.” She snapped, a hot spark in her eyes, for some reason I liked that.

“Well, we’ll see how long you’ll last round here.” I smiled at her a little too sweetly; I wanted to laugh at that suspicious look in her eyes.

Jessie’s POV

We’ll see how long you’ll last round here; the words came out casual however I could hear the threatening undertone.

Horse molester.

“So, where are all the tourists?” I asked Marcus, who looked up at me dumb founded, with hash brown hanging out of his mouth.

“Mwrat?” he asked, crumbs spilling out of his mouth. Mary reached over and thwacked him on the head.

“Where’s your manners boy? Swallow yaw damn food before you talking to a nice lady.” Jack scolded Marcus, throwing a napkin at him.

Marcus blushed a faint pink, and then with great effort swallowed the lump in his mouth.

“Sorry, Jessie. Momma’s cooking turns me into a savage,” Mary laughed, spooning some casserole into Jack’s plate; that only shook his head in amusement.

“Dumb ass.” Tyler smirked, he started sniggering when Marcus’s eyes widened, he looked sort of mad.

“Oh! Who’s the dumb ass who didn’t patch up the fence and let a hundred cows loose? Hmm? Cos it certainly weren’t me, Ty.” Marcus threw back; I put my head down to laugh quietly. When I finally looked up, Mary gave me a helpless smile.

“The hell it was me! It was you! Clumsy fool.” Tyler looked outraged, and Cam settled back into his chair like this happened every night at dinner.

“Damn it boys! Stop swearing in front of Jessie and yaw ma. Dumb assed kids. Not showing any respect in front of women.” Jack grumbled, stabbing his fork into the pile off food as he stared at his sons.

“Haw haw! Y’all got scolded at.” Perry laughed, brushing the long strands of hair out of his eyes.

“You wait your turn, smart ass.” Jack smiled at him, except it was more of a ‘say another word and I’ll slap you silly’ smile than a friendly dad smile.