Thirty-two

"Don't worry, I'm here. You just relax."

The sky was dark this morning.
Not a bird in the trees.
Silence hung suspicious and anxious.
Like a blanket covered scream.

Those seven words were my lifeline. My only source that made me to let my guard down. And breathe independently. Those seven words that made me forget about that shadow who was lurking outside my bedroom. I believed those seven words that escaped from Drew's lips. But now I doubted those seven words, when George peeked in my room to drop the bombshell.

"I'm taking your mom out for the dinner. She was feeling a little low. So I guess...... it's for.... cheering her up a little, y'know. She's been... really stressed lately." George said like he was asking for my permission. Duh. A pathetic smile sprawled across his face as he was standing by the threshold in his very neat black tux. Sounds formal!

I was taken aback by this information. My mouth was parted open as I tried to comprehend what he just said. He was taking her out. He was taking my mom out.

"Don't worry, we won't take too long. Maybe, we'll be back in few hours." George sensed my uneasiness as he spoke again, nonchalantly, squaring his shoulders, fixing his tux.

I bit my lip in concern as I stole few glances of him without him noticing. He was looking very happy right now. He had a genuine smile on his perfect shaved face as his one hand was tucked in the pocket of his tux. Looking like a gentleman with those shiney black boots. I searched for something bitchiness on his face, like he's planning something. But I didn't find any. The smile on his face didn't look fake like his demeanor.

As I opened my mouth to say something, mom entered in my room as well. She was looking stunning for God's sake, in those dark blue gown, that reaches just above her knees, with those killing legs and in incredibly tight fitting of her dress. She had a beautiful smile on her face as she walked past George and rushed toward me.

"I'm going out, honey! But we'll be back in few hours." I didn't say anything, just nodded. She smiled.

"Come 'ere. Give me a hug." She said as she wrapped her slender arms around me. I hugged her back, whispering in her ears so George couldn't hear us.

"Just be careful mom. Around him." I warned her quietly while stealing a glance at George. She nodded and whispered back.

"You will call me the very second you sense something unusual or worry. I know Drew is here with you. But please let me know too." She said and unwrapped her arms from around me, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek.

She smiled at Drew and left with George by her side, hand in hand.

"Claire? Claire!? What are you thinking?" Drew asked as he sat beside me looking a little worried. Something is bugging him.

"It's just seems off. Don't you think Drew?" I said.

"What's off? What are you talking about?" He asked, squinting his eyes in confusion. Why was he being so oblivious right now?

"It's just us now. In the house. Alone with Granny. What is this George want to do? What are they planning?" I unbottled my thoughts in front of Drew. And whatever I'd just told him was frightening me now. I mean c'mon, taking mom out for the dinner out of blue and leaving us alone with that psychopath. I knew they're planning something.

"I'm just confuse right now. I don't understand...... wh-whatever I heard today. It just doesn't make sense." Drew rambled ignoring my statement. What was he talking about?'Whatever he heard today'.