Four

"Maybe she's tryna hide something."

Granny and I were having a little conversation over breakfast. We ate in silence for a bit as Granny broke the silence with her question. She cleared her throat, before speaking.

"What'd you think about George, hun?" Her question startled me for a minute. She waited for answer which I gave her eventually.

"He..um....I don't know him very well, but....he's the reason of my mom's genuine smile, which I was dying to see for two years. Th-that's why I know he's a good man." I used my words carefully, trying not to stumble over my words and not say anything that might hurt her in any way. Well, the truth was, I didn't know anything about George. He didn't tell me anything specific. He hardly ever talked to me in two years.

I gave her a genuine smile which she returned gradually. Her merely wrinkled face lights up at her son's appraisal. Of course, she's expecting this.

"I'm glad to hear that." She had been so humble. Maybe mom had made a great decision. Now I got one more person in family.

I tried to change the subject from George to something else. This subject always made me slightly uncomfortable. This was a touchy subject for me. I just didn't want to relieve the past. That was all.

We stayed quiet for few minutes, Then it clicked me, the events of last night. I had to brought it up somehow. I hade to let her know, what was going on in her home and of course behind her back. I had to ask her now.

As we finished the breakfast. I tried to make a conversation again.

"Uh...um Granny?" Her attention was now on me. I didn't know where to start it from. Why was It so difficult?  Aahhh........

"I need to talk to you about something, something important." She squinted her eyes and gestured me to continue.

"The maid, Stella! From how long she's been working here?" I finally asked and she started... laughing.

"So, this is the important thing, you wanna talk to?" She said, while laughing at my question. But I didn't laugh. What's so funny about it? 

"Just answer me." I stressed. She didn't know what's coming next.

"What happened dear? Why you so interested in this meaningless thing all of a sudden?" She asked in a little annoyed tone. "But, it's okay, if something is bugging you."

"I'll tell you, this is way more serious than you think. Just answer me." I assured her.

"She's been working here for almost two years now, and she's really a good woman in person." Her answer almost seemed genuine, almost. But I'm not satisfied with that.

"But what I have been witnessing lately, I don't think she's that of a good woman." I stated and she looked puzzled at my words. Eyebrows furrowed. Confusion plastered on her face.

"What'd she do?" Her eyebrow rose so did her voice.

"There's some guy, who always sneaks in your house when you're asleep, Granny. And I guess, she is the one, letting him sneak in. And when I questioned her about this, she always denied." I explained her everything I knew. Leaving the final decision on her. After all, she was the owner of the house.

"Wh-what are you talking about? I will talk to her. Nobody can trespass my property." She said in extremely deep voice. She looked very, very furious. Her fist clenched tightly, anger in her eyes. I guess that's what happens when someone you trust, breaks your trust.

"Thank you dear, for letting me know." Her voice changed quickly from dark to comforting. I nodded but didn't say anything. I had done my work here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed home tonight. Drew was a bit busy today. He wasn't in the town. I was kinda bored without him. I liked spending time with him, being next to him. And that was all, I wanted do all the time. He had great effect on me. He gave me butterflies every time.

I watched as the time passed by. It was almost the time I return to home every night. And it was the time when 'he' leaves. I wondered what was happening downstairs? I looked out through the window. My eyes widened as I saw 'him' leaving through the front door again. I couldn't see his face because of his head hung low. Maybe he got confronted by Granny. I smirked.

I ran down the stairs to where Granny was. I saw her sitting on the couch, reading an old magazine. I approached her. She smiled as she saw me approaching and put the magazine away and patted on the empty space next to her.

"Why'd you let him go?" Her expressions changed into a frown at my sudden question. She was looking oblivious.

"What!?" Now, I frowned at her. I slowed my steps as I stood in front of her.

"The boy, I had told you about, in the morning." I said.

"He never come, I've been waiting for him since dinner." What the fuck was going on?

"But I just saw him leaving through the front door. How on earth you didn't see him?" I said too fast for my liking. Now it was frustrating me more. He had walked out like no one cares, like he was invisible to everyone. And Granny didn't see him. Impossible.

Her face was contorted in a confusion. "What are You saying? No one came, dear. And no one left. You're sure, you're taking enough sleep lately?"

Now, it was my time to frown. Where was she getting with it? Although my answer was spontaneous. "Wh- No! I mean... where are you getting with it?"

"Look dear, I'm just tryna sa-" I cut her in mid sentence. She thinks I'm hallucinating. 

"No!!! I get it, You think I'm hallucinating! I've been seeing him  regularly and at same time. It's either the maid is lying or you're hiding something." My voice rose to at every word. And I pointed my finger in her direction. This was one of the habit I got from my mom. I didn't like being blamed for no reason. And c'mon, how could she not seen 'him'? He always walked out nonchalantly.

But I guess I said too much. The damage had been done, I couldn't take back what I said. Granny seemed upset. Her face fell.  My words had hurt her. It was clear from the look of her face that she's hurt. The damage had been done.

Nonetheless she tried to keep it cool. She remained calm, trying to handle the situation gently.

I quickly apologized, "I'm s-sorry, Granny. I didn't mean to hur-" She cut me.

"It's okay, Dear. I know Stella for years, and I know she wouldn't do anything wrong. And if, she betrayed my trust, I will make sure she paid." Her voice started to getting dark as she spoke.

"You should go and rest." Her voice changed quickly to warm and comforting one.

I didn't try to deny, and gave her a quick hug and retreated upstairs and to my room without further questions. I looked out through the window, now staring at empty pavement.

All the time I had been thinking.

Who was He?

If Stella was lying or Granny was hiding something?

If I was really hallucinating?

If there was something I needed to know?

Maybe I need a sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------

( Yay 1000+ words)