Twenty-nine

"I'll make sure, Alex and you would be safe. I won't let anyone hurt you guys anymore."

When Drew left, time started passing so slow. And mom made it even worse by bugging me with thousand questions about Drew and I's relationship. Although she appreciated for what Drew did for us. She thought, he's nice and caring. And I wanted nothing more than that from her to think after her first encounter with Drew. It was such an embarrassing. The way she pulled him off of me, breaking our kiss and throwing him on the floor. He doesn't deserve this disrespect. But mom didn't mean that. She thought, he was some intruder. And at that moment whatever she did was rational. I knew she can protect me and herself. I had never seen so much anger in her eyes before. But she kept apologizing me for unexpected misbehave.

She was a sweet woman. If I would tell her about whole Granny and George thing, what would she do? How will she react? Do I have to tell her? I thought to myself, gnawing at my bottom lip. I knew she had to know someday either way. This was very hard decision for me to take. I wanted to tell her so badly. But I knew the consequences. It was not only her who was going to hurt in the process. Alex ws hurt. Drew was hurting. I was hurting. Miles and his mother had paid the price. No one could stand before their greed. They needed to pay for they've done. And for it, mom had to know. She knew better about George. But there was one thing, that's not making me do it.

What if, she didn't take it well? What if, she broke down?

"What are you thinking honey?" Mom asked, drawing me out of my never ending thoughts. "Huh?"

"I've been noticing from the past hour, you're keep chewing your lips and staring at the ceiling aimlessly. And I know, when you do it." She can read me like the back of her hand.

"Mom! If I tell you, that... I-I know.. who's behind th-this accident. Would you believe me?" I didn't know what I was thinking when I asked this question. Mom's eyes squinted in the deep concern as she leaned in to get my full attention. Her eyes on me.

"I would believe you of course." She replied proudly and hold my forearm gently to confirm her point. "Who's behind all of this? Tell me their name." She asked quietly but firmly. I could see anger in her eyes again.

"It's Granny!" I whispered but she heard me. Her eyes turned wide and grip around my forearm tighten a bit. She gasped.

"What?" She asked in disbelief. Of course, it was going to be hard for her to believe. "Wh-wh-wh-what'd you say? I think I misheard-"

"You didn't hear wrong. Mom. It's Granny! Behind that accident." I turned my head to the other side too scared to see her reaction. The look of disbelief and betrayal would be written all over her face.

Everything turned quiet for a good few minutes until I heard her shifting and saying.

"Look at me Claire!" And I did. I was partly confuse to see her face. I could see betrayal and hurt but she didn't look pale or something. She was looking calm. I didn't say anything just stared at her with question in my eyes. I never expected her to be so calm after knowing the mother of her husband had tried to kill me and Alex and almost succeeded in it.

"You wouldn't lie to me. There would be an explanation for accusing her for this?" I nodded, hesitantly. Did I tell her everything now? No! It's not the time. I should listen to the voice.

"She didn't want to kill Alex. She wanted to kill Drew and me. Because-because Drew knows something about her. And she thinks I know too. But unfortunately Alex was with me in the car yesterday, and he got hurt instead."

"What does Drew know? And what about her? She's an old woman. She seems nice. She has cared for you for couple of months. Why would she hurt you?" She asked, frustrating, in disbelief. Because "killing" is extreme.

Translucentजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें