Twelve

Under the bed stupid!

I repeated what I had heard the voice said in my head. Alex abruptly stopped, wherever he was searching, his body stiffened and turned to look at me with shocked expression in his eyes.

"Hurry up, Alex." Drew said in urgent.

Alex crouched down on his knees and slipped his hands under the bed and started fumbling for the medical kit. Finally, he found it and pulled it out. And walked up to us and sat crossed legs on the floor across from Drew. Drew bandaged my wounds carefully and tried not to hurt me anymore. But I felt numb to the pain. I was not panic to see blood that was oozing out of the wound. I was not in pain from the sharp cut. It was just my expressions were empty as I stared at wound with passive eyes. But with Drew, it was another theory. He was looking concern while cleaning my wounds. He looked hurt as he saw me hurting. He looked sad. And it made me regret everything.

I noticed from the corner of my eyes, that all the time, Alex was watching me with bewildered look on his face, maybe trying to figure something out. Then, he turned his gaze to the floor, eyebrows furrowed and eyes squinted as he started thinking or maybe recalling something. His posture tansed as something clicked in his mind. He abruptly turned to me with wide eyes and I almost startled by his sudden movement and tried to look anywhere but him. What was he thinking?

As Drew finished wrapping my wounds, he started mumbling to himself something almost inaudible. I heard only 'it's my fault'. That was enough for me to feel even more guilty. My expressions turned sad as I heard him blaming himself for my mistake. It wasn't his fault. If there was anyone to blame, then it was me. I should have been more cautious and more concentrated while playing. I had ruined their moment. I'm such an awful person.

"It's not you. It's me. To put the blame on." I said quietly, looking down on the floor. As the guilt was eating me alive.

"No. It's not. I should have kept it in my mind that something like this could be happened. I was just being too careless."

"Stop blaming yourself. It's not. And, and wound is just a scratch, nothing serious. It's not hurting anymore." Although it was not 'just a scratch', but I didn't want to make it a big deal. Especially when, it was all my fault.

But, he didn't seem to buy it. "You're kidding me? It has bled so much. Claire. I care about you an-and-d I can't see you getting hurt." I felt tears prick in my eyes as he gently caressed my cheek. And for a moment, we almost forgot that his hand was covered with my blood from when he tried to stop the bleeding. And now the blood was smeared on my cheeks But we didn't seem to mind it at all.

"How did you know? That the kit was hidden under the bed!" Our moment was short lived, when Alex spoke up. He was frowning, looking at me directly. And his question was right. I had no idea, where he had placed the kit. I had just followed the voice, that is in my head. But should I tell them that. No! It's probably insane.

"It-it's just.... I don't know...I-I-I had guessed. That, it maybe under the bed." I stuttered almost every word out. I didn't know why lying was so hard. Now, I was expecting them to drop the topic as soon as possible. Alex looked contemplated for a minute but dropped the topic eventually. Thank God. But he still looked confuse over something. Once again, a uncomfortable silence fell upon us. 

We heard the door swing open of Alex's room as three of us turned to see, who has opened the door. Alex' s mom was peaking from the half-opened door.

"I had ordered the pizza for you guys. I got it fo- Oh My Lord, What had happened in here? Why is there blood on your face? What did you do this time, Alex?" Mrs. Black started panicking as she saw my face with blood smeared on it as well as Drew's hands. I looked at Alex for help, but he was giving his mom an annoyed look. He has dealt with it before. That, now he seemed to uninterested.

"Mom, pleaseeee! Stop it." Alex groaned as he wore a bore expression.

Mrs. Black slammed the door open and rushed over to me and gave Drew a look that clearly said 'you're dead'. Drew gulped nervously. I didn't know that Alex's mom could be so scary sometimes as well as caring.

"You don't understand. It-it's not like that-" Drew tried to reason but it seemed that, he was not going anywhere with it. Especially when he was gesturing with blood covered hand.

"Who did this dear?" Mrs. Black gently took my injured hand in her hands, observing it and stroking it gently.

"I was.... I made a pathetic attempt to play guitar and, and got myself injured somehow. It's not their fault." I explained as I gestured to my hand. Now, she relaxed a bit. And the tension in the room faded. She smiled gently and let go of my hand. She reminded me of my mom when dad was alive. Those were golden days.

"Take care of her, Drew." She said to Drew, smiling, got up to leave.

"Mom, just go now. We were in the middle of very serious conversation." Alex said, while escorting her out of the room. "I'll be back with our pizzas. Just give me a minute." His voice echoed in the hall.

"Let's get you clean up. I don't want to get murdered by Mrs.Black." I laughed at his childish fear as we got up. He took my hand in his hand and led me to the bathroom. We got in and he closed the door behind us. I stood with my back resting against the wall. I watched Drew with curious eyes as he washed his hands, then walked toward me with a washcloth in his hand and a gentle smile on his face.

He softly placed his index finger under my chin as I lifted my head a little and our eyes met instantly. He gently cleaned the blood off my face, taking his time. He was too close to me that our hip bones were almost crashing together. I gulped. The washcloth sliped from his hand or he let it slip on purpose and he started caressing my face. My breathing started accelerating. The only sound could be heard, was of rapid beating of our hearts thumping against our ribcages. I felt my eyes flutter closed as I felt his soft lips on mine.

We made out for a few more minutes as we heard the irritating noise of knock on the door. We pulled apart and he leaned in and our head touched.

"Come out. No sex in my bathroom." We ignored Alex's sarcastic warning as we got lost in each other's eyes.

We got out eventually and ate pizza together. It was nice to meet with Alex. But all the time, my eyes were searching for him. Everything in Alex's house was reminding me of him.

"I think, we should go. See you then, in the practice." Drew said.

They said their goodbye and we got in the car.

"I hope, I'll see you soon, Claire." Alex spoke out of blue, leaning against the car window as Drew was about to start the car. His voice was dark and cold. I felt the shiver run down my spine. But I forced a smile on my face, trying to hide my hesitation. Drew seemed to unfaze by this. I guess, he didn't notice the sudden change in Alex's behavior.

"Let's get you home." Drew smiled and started the car. But, I heard the voice said in my head.

"I don't wanna go home."