Eight

Then everything turned black, leaving me in dark abyss.

I woke up with a slight headache. The sun is shining in the sky. It's a bright day. And it seems that I woke up late today, which is not my thing. I usually wake up early. But today, I'm feeling a little dull. I bring my hand to my forehead to rub the pain away. It's not working. I need some advil.

I don't feel like doing anything today, so I stayed in my bed, gazing out through the window. I feel so empty. I have this bad feeling that nothing is going to be alright from now on. I can feel my heart sink to my stomach as my mind starts thinking bad things. Is It some kind of premonition?  Or is it just my mind playing tricks on me?

I heard the door open of my room. I turned to see Stella walked in with a tray in her hands. She put the tray on the nightstand.

"How are you feeling, Miss Moreno? " she asked in almost monotone.

"Kinda tired! " I replied. Wait! She never comes in my room to give me breakfast. I always have it downstairs with Granny. So what's so special today?

She spoke before I could ask anything. "Mrs. Cobble will join you soon. She's been worried about you after whatever happened last night. " She answered my unasked questions in fake concern.

Now, my full attention is on her. What had happened last night?  I tried to recall but my mind draws blank. How come I didn't remember what happened last night. I wasn't drunk for sure.

"What happened last night?" I asker her with deep concern.

"Well, when you got back hom-" she stopped in the mid sentence as she heard the door open of my room. Both of us turned our heads to see who's coming. Of course, it's Granny. Who else it could be?

"Thank you Stella, I can handle the situation from here on. Why don't you go into the kitchen? " Granny politely gave command to Stella. Within a second, she's out the door and in the kitchen.

Granny came in and sat by my side. "What was she saying? Something happened last night?" I Asked Granny.

"Don't you remember?" She gave me bewildered look. As if she didn't believe me. And it's frustrating me more than anything. That my memory of last night is erased somehow. I don't even remember a thing.

I shook my head in denial and gestured her to update me with missing pieces. She took a deep breath.

"First of all, tell me, how much do you remember, last night?" And here comes another question.

I tried and recall anything unusual, that happened last night. But all I remember is, me and Drew roaming around and having fun, then his invitation and our first ever kiss. And at the end, my failure attempt to track that boy down. And me coming home with slump shoulders. That's it. I don't see anything bad in it except tracking down the boy. But that's another theory.

I looked at Granny as she's patiently waiting for me to say something material. I fiddled with my fingers, tangling and untangling the sheet between my boney fingers, debating whether to pull the issue of that boy or not. She will probably think, I'm a stalker, which I clearly don't want her to think like that about me. Bad idea. 

Why doesn't she believe me, that the boy is a intruder!? And that boy is real. I saw him with my very eyes. I mean, I wouldn't lie to her. Is she hiding something from me? Does she know him? 

Then it hit me. The boy. He was bleeding last night, he was so afraid. Afraid of something or, or someone? What had happened last night? I need to know.

I turned my full attention to her. "I just remember, coming home. That's it!" I look her dead in the eyes. Waiting for her to break the new news.

I narrowed my eyes as I asked, "What had happened last night, before me to coming home?" My voice came out more sharp than I expected.

"Why are you asking this?"

"Just answer me. Granny!!!" I stressed.

"Nothing happened before that. I was worried, because you were so damn late. I was worried, because you didn't answer your darn phone. I was worried, because i didn't know if you were okay or not." Her voice raised at every word she spoke. She looks mad at me. 

Now, it's making me feel more guilty, that I made her worry for me, when I was following someone, who I didn't even know.

But she still managed to keep the boy out of our argument.

She grabbed my attention once more as she started speaking in relaxed tone.

"You know, I don't want you to be out there this late without letting me know. I have responsibility as a parent. I don't want that your mom and dad think that I didn't take good care of you." She rested her wrinkled hand on my knees as comforting mechanism.

"I know that Granny. But I can take care of myself. You don't need to worry. I'm a big girl." I sighed.

"Not after, what you did last night." This time, she looked me in the eyes.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What did I do?  My question answered immediately.

"When you got back home last night. you were looking like you have been running for hours. You were sweating and panting an-and dirt was caked on your face and clothes. I was scared, what had happened to you, when you clutched your head so hard. You were barely standing. So I made you sat on the chair and gave you some water-" my eyes turned the size of the moon as I listen her unfolding last night. "-You weren't responding toward anything I was saying. Your breathing were respy and sharp. Then you passed out in my arms."

She had tears in her eyes as she finished. I can't believe. So much had happened last night. How on earth I don't remember anything? What had triggered it? I was speechless by now. I don't know how to respond it?

"Doctor said, you had a panic attack. But what triggered it dear?"

I shook my head, "I-I...don't kn-know." I stuttered.

-------------------------------------------------------------

( 100+ views and 20 votes! Love you guys)