Eighteen

"How much did you hear?"

Did you ever heard of 'Curiosity can kill the cat'. Alex was being so curious right now. I tried to look as innocent and as oblivious as possible. I didn't want them to know what I knew. I made a puzzled face in front of them. Trying to prove the point 'I don't know, what are you talking about? I just woke up.' Smart move.

"I just woke-woke up from a terrible nightmare." I squeezed my eyes shut and brought my hands up to rub my head, making groggy voice, in an attempt to put an extra effect. It was working, they were buying it. "Why? Wh-why are you asking this? What happened? Did I do anything? Is something happened?" I shot another question as I watched them with fake puzzle in my eyes. Seemed to be in deep concern. The air seemed to be heavy around us as tension built in the room, with an uncomfortable silence.

Alex exhaled loudly as Drew proceeded to answered my question. "You didn't do anything. We... we were just worri-ed about you." I smiled as he lightly kissed my forehead. He tried to hide the fact.

For now, I tried to change the topic. "Thank you Alex f-for everything you've done, today, for me. I owe you big time." Yeah, he had helped me so much. I didn't know what I would've done on my own. This strange feeling in my heart was telling me, that he could read me like an open book. Like he knew me for years. Because, he didn't question me further, when I told him to not to drove me back home. He knew, I was hiding something under my sleeves. He didn't ask why I broke down in front of him. He didn't question, when I suddenly panicked to see my neighborhood. He didn't question anything. He didn't ask anything, like he knew what I'm going through.

"Claire? What are you thinking?" I came back to reality as Drew snapped his fingers in front of me. "No-nothing! Just stuff." I stuttered out my reply, still wrapped in my thoughts. I didn't even hear what Alex said. I'm just so lost.

Alex didn't move from the threshold as he was observing me with his confuse, squinted eyes. He's trying to find something in me. But what?  He was looking so lost, that, he didn't even notice that I was watching him. What's up with him? What's he thinking this time?

"How long I've been out?" I turned back to Drew as I asked.

"For couple of hours." Drew replied quietly. Now I felt bad for letting Drew worry about me. And now he knew about my wounds, my condition but he didn't know the reason behind all of it. He had right to know. But how do I tell him all of this, about the voice, about him.

An awkward silence surrounded us once again as we awkwardly stared at each other.

"You'll probably hungry right now, Yeah? I'll take you something to eat. Just hang on for a bit." By the last part, Alex was out the door. Leaving us alone together. Well it's the best thing he's done this time.

"He's always like this. He's not good with words that's why he always try to avoid conversation." Drew explained, chuckling awkwardly as I just watched him. He sat by my side until Alex came with a pizza box in his one hand and a slice in other hand. He closed the door slowly without making any irritating noise and sat down on the bean bag.

"Mom doesn't know about it." Alex whispered jokingly, biting his tongue in mocking manner as we shared pizza. We settled at two slices each. Fair share.

It was now dark outside. The sun had set. It was late now. I should go home now. I didn't even inform Granny when I walked out. She must be worried sick for me.

"I think I should go. It's late. And I don't want to deal with Granny's anger. I didn't inform her this morning when I walked out." I reasoned and both of their faces fell. Horror appeared on Drew's face. Did I say something wrong? Their faces fell at the mention of Granny.

They hesitantly looked at each other as Drew gulped before talking. "Ok, let's get you ho-home." And Alex snapped his head at Drew, eyes of the size of the moon, trying to tell him something with the stern expression on his face. Is he trying to warn him or something?

Finally, Drew stood up as he extended his hands for me to hold which I gladly accepted. My legs felt weak as I stood up, but didn't let it show. I noticed Alex was glaring at Drew but Drew's feature were relax and his face was unbelievably calm. He was avoiding Alex's gaze.

"I'm taking her home, Alex!" Drew finally replied to Alex, stressing on the word 'home'. Alex relaxed as if he toom the hint in his words. What are they talking about? What the hell is going on?  But I stayed quiet, observing them. I figured that, it was all about the conversation that they had, behind my back.

This time, we didn't use the window as getaway but the decent way out through the Front door. Gladly. We climbed in the car as I realized the voice had come back again. I'm grateful, Alex. And I found myself repeating those words to Alex.

"I'm grateful, Alex." Alex turned pale at my words, but he quickly hid the hesitation behind it. I could see the sad glint in his eyes.

"It-it-it-it's okay. Yo-You don't have to say it." He waved awkwardly and sprinted back into the house, without turning at once.

We drove in silence on serene road until Drew hit the brake in the middle of the road, with no reason.

"What happened? Why'd you stop the car?" I asked slightly confused.

"I'm not taking you to your home. You're coming to mine." He replied plainly, gripping the steering wheel tightly and looking ahead, making his expression passive.

"Why? What happened?" I asked as I removed his hand from the steering wheel, making him look me in the eyes. He turned to me, but he didn't look me in the eye.

"Because.... because-" he's lost for words. "Because.... yeah!!! Look at you. You look so miserable right now. Your Granny will probably freak out to see you in this st-state." His words were true. Granny will get a heart attack, if she saw me like this. I looked like shit right now. Heavy bags under my puffy eyes, faded face and baggy clothes. Drew wqs right I couldn't go home like this.

Drew sighed in relief. "What am I suppose to do now?" I asked.

"Call her. Tell her, you're staying at friend's. Simple." He suggested.

He was right. I searched for my phone in my jeans pockets with no such luck. It wasn't there. God.

"Shit!!!!!" I screeched in frustration. "I probably have left my phone in my car." I hated myself for this stupidity.

"Here. You can use mine." Drew gave me his cell phone.

I dialed her number, and waited for her to pick up. I found myself shaking in nervousness as I heard ringing in the phone. After four rings she picked up the phone.

I heard her raspy voice on the line. "Hello? Who's this?"

"It's me, Granny. Claire!" I said just above a whisper, slightly afraid how would she react?

"Claire? Claire! Where are you, Dear? Why weren't you picking up your phone? I must have called you thousand times-" I listened to her shouting from the other side. I knew I'm dead when I got back home. She was very angry. "-Answer me young girl."

I gulped, biting inside of my cheek nervously. "I'm really sorry for that. I just called you to inform you, that I'm st-staying at friend's tonight. You don't have to worry, Granny. I'll be-be back in morning."

"May I ask, who is this friend?" I hesitated to answer. I couldn't tell her about Drew. I looked at him for answer. He thought for a second before whispered a name in my ear.

"Destiny! My friend, Destiny."

--------------------------------------------------------------

(So guys, what'd you think about Alex?  Is he a bad guy or good?
And Thank you guys once again for praising my story. The first chapter got 100+ views. This is insane. Love you guys so much.)