Thirty

"You don't understand.......I. Need. To. Save. Alex."

I could feel someone stroking my hair as I laid unconscious on the hospital bed, unable to move, eyes keep fluttering behind my tired eyelids, horrible images of Alex lying in the pool of his own blood flashing before my eyes, over and over, shaking me to the core. I felt like I'm coming back to my senses. I was ready to awake. But what's the point? I am a failure. I could hardly walk. I couldn't even stop Granny to hurt Alex. Maybe she had already done what she had come for. For ending Alex's life. I couldn't even save him. What's the point in waking up now? I didn't want to face the reality. Like a wimp I am. No, You're not!

Now voice couldn't even do anything except for boosting my broken hopes. They were broken beyond repair. My hopes got no hope. Huh.....cliche.

"You gotta wake up, Claire! You have to be strong you hear me." I could hear faint soft whispers of Drew. He was stroking my hair. He was holding my hands. His hands were trembling as he prevents himself from sobbing. He was trying to be strong. He was trying to make me strong. But I guess, he was doing it because he didn't want to loose me now. First he lost Miles, then his beloved sister, Destiny. Then he lost his best friend, Alex. And now he was afraid of losing me too. He lost everything that had ever mattered to him. Being the part of someone else's battle often leaves you worn out. Whatever the voice said in my head is hundred percent true. It's not his battle. But yet he's fighting. I can understand his pain. I got to open my eyes. I had to do this for Drew. I needed to be strong for Drew. I was the only one he has now. I'll never let him down. Never in million years. And that's my promise.

I stirred a bit, trying to position myself. I curled my fingers around Drew's hands, that was once in my hand holding my lifeless hand, warmth spreaded through my body. He realized I'm awake. I opened my eyes with the hope to see Drew's face. And my wish granted. My eyes met with glossy warm brown eyes. I couldn't stop myself but pulled him in my arms, with the intention of never letting him go. I wish this moment will never end. We stayed curled forgetting about everything until......

"Honey, you're awake! I was so worried about you, when I walked in on you struggling against nurses. I was so afraid. I shouldn't have left you alone. They said, you were crying and screaming that 'you gotta save Alex'. I know you're worried about him. But you can't leave your bed, ripping off the IVs and straight walk Into his room with a broken leg." Mom started ranting in front of us. She was worried. She had tears in her eyes. And why not? But she didn't know the reason behind my action. She didn't know, Granny sneaked in, and threatened me with the good times.

"Don't worry, ma'am! I won't leave her side not for a second. That's my promise." Drew assured both mom and me. He leaned in once again and whispered in my ear 'that's my promise'. I smiled. "Your daughter won't be alone. I ain't gonna leave her side." He said squeezing my hand for assurance and giving my mom a gentle smile.

"I'm glad to hear that. I guess I should leave you two alone for a while. And.....I believe you Drew. Don't make me regret that." She said and left the room, leaving us for ourselves. It was so quiet now. And I loved this quietness until my step father and that bitch Granny interfere. I don't wanna see them. Why don't they just die and leave us alone.

I stared at Drew's eyes. Finding answers to my questions. Why are they so calm? What was hiding behind them? What was that important thing he know about George? What was the secret that Granny afraid we know?

I guess, Drew heard my thoughts. Or was I thinking out loud? Whichever is that, doesn't matter. Because my questions started answering one by one.

"Alex is alive and perfectly fine. He's just hurt pretty bad. That's all. I know you're worried about him. He's in the best care." It felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Relief rushed through my body hearing that. Alex is alive and perfectly fine. I told you so. So it means Granny couldn't lay a finger on him.