Twenty-four

And I don't even know if I can trust anyone anymore.

It was enough I couldn't believe I was living with the people like them. I was living in the dark the whole time. They were very good at masking. They were very good at pretending. I couldn't be more wrong in my life. And the worst part of this was, my mom was with him, clueless to everything. She didn't know anything. That her husband was a lying asshole. Who knew, what sweet nothings he had been feeding her? Who knew what else he was hiding from us? What if she's in danger. Like I was and I didn't even realised that until last night, when I evasdroped in Granny's conversation on the phone with some Stephen guy. And who the hell was Stephen? What this Stephan guy had to do with us? Why was Granny talking to him about me finding out that they're hiding something. And why she didn't want me to hang out with Alex and Drew?

"What did they do to you?" Drew asked. We were in Drew's house right now. Alex straightly drove us here last night. We didn't say a word to each other until now. And now, Drew wanted to know what had happened last night in Cobble Mansion. Although, I was pretty sure, Alex had already told him everything. But he wanted to make sure, if I'm alright?

"You don't need to worry, Drew. I'm fine. It's just....so much happened last night. I just.... need some... time. To think." My voice cracked at last part. It was just too much to take. The Woman I had been living with the whole time, turned in on me. Before Alex could say anything I spoke, "Just... tell me one thing!" They exchanged look before slowly nodding.

I looked at both of them while asking, "Did you guys know about it? And, don't try to lie to me. Don't think I never noticed that you, Drew trying to keep me away from her every time. Away from that house." I enquired while pointing my finger in Drew's direction.

He nodded quietly, looking away, and slightly hesitated to look me in the eye. They knew it. They were trying to protect me from her, from the very start. They knew, she was trouble. But why didn't they tell me before? We could've prevented it. I wouldn't be this fucked up.

"I just don't want you to get hurt, Claire. I care about you. And I don't care, if you belong to them. I'll protect you at any cost." He also had tears in his eyes. His words making my eyes well up too. He was genuine and his words were true and I trusted him with everything.

I turned to Alex, as I confirmed my suspicion. "It was you, Alex? Who was following me, hiding behind the hoodie, that night, when I first entered in this town. Wasn't it?" I narrowed my eyes at him. I just figured it out last night that it was him. When he sneaked in my room to get me out of the house. He was dressed in the same outfit as of that night.

His eyes turned wide as he avoided eye contact with me, trying to hide from me. Avoiding the question. But he couldn't do that. Not this time. He got caught red-handed. He was dumbfounded. Drew had bewildered expression on his face at my question as he turned his head towards Alex, glaring at him, silently asking for an explanation. I guess Alex didn't tell him about stalking me that night. Alex was always been so caring to me all the time. But I couldn't understand his behavior at our first meeting, technically second meeting when we proper met in his house. When Drew introduced us. He was being hideous that time. And he was giving me that creepy look.

"Don't I deserve an explanation? From both of you." I raised my voice, confirming my point. They nodded. Drew was first to speak.

"Don't get me wrong, Claire. But I do love you since I've met you in the record shop. But when you told me you're Cobble's..... step-daughter. I wanted to know about Cobble through you. In our very first meeting I realized that you don't know anything about them. You're oblivious to everything and anything that has to do with their past. And everything that is going on behind your back. And that, he might be using you and your mom for his benefit. I knew I needed to protect you. That's why I never leave your side. I want to keep you close to me all the time, and make sure you're not get hurt." Why did he always be such a sweetheart?