Chapter Sixteen: The Truth About Jessie

Comenzar desde el principio

I turned on my heel and ran down to the kitchen to grab his pain medication. Tyler sat in one of the chairs alone, leaning back.

“That paper is a lie, ma. Jessie isn’t like that.” Tyler said with absolute certainty. I walked over and kissed his forehead tenderly, not wanting to create more pain for him.

My poor boy; bruised and battered by the brother he idolises. I grabbed a clean cloth and began to clean his wounds, gently wiping off the blood. Tyler made a soft groan of pain. Bruises were already starting to form all over Tyler.

“At least Susanne wasn’t here to see this.” I muttered. Susanne was out of town again for a week, doing a computer tech course in Billings. I knew she would be safe because Tucker was also there, I suspected he was only there for her.

Perry and Marcus came back with a first aid kit and told me they could take care of him. I kissed them all on their cheeks before walking back up the stairs with a cold glass of water and Jack’s pain medicine.

“That boy has poor luck.” Jack muttered. I passed him the glass and meds, which he gratefully took. “You don’t believe that about Jessie, do you?” I asked him as he chugged down the water and tablets.

“Of course I don’t. She never tried a thing on me or our boy’s, I don’t think a gold digger would clean out the stables for the past five months.” He shook his head, leaning back onto the bed. I plopped down next to him, holding his hand.

“I don’t think she was ever after Cam for the money.” I said honestly, she didn’t have that ring about her that would even indicate she was motivated by money. Jessie honestly seemed like the perfect girl.

A stumbling sound brought me back from my little flashback, and sure enough Cam emerged into the ranch house.

He looked deathly tired, like he was about to pass out any second. His face was paled, clothes a bit torn and that vacant look in his eyes.

“Cam sweetheart?” I called to him, but he wouldn’t stop. He just kept walking to his room without a single word to me, like he had been for the past month.

He hasn’t talked to any of us for more than a few words, no family dinners and things were strained between him and it seemed like everybody.

Poor Susanne had her heart broken when she heard about what happened. She and Jessie were very close, like sisters. She didn’t believe a single bad thing that was sprouted against Jessie.

“How long is he going to stay like this?” I asked Jack rhetorically. He shrugged, and suddenly when Jack met my eyes it was like we were teenagers again. That beautiful time in our lives where we hated each other really opened our eyes.

He gave me a knowing look, a look that went through the similar pain of being broken hearted during our young years.

“How long does it take a broken heart to heal?”

For that I had no real answer, who in the world did?

“Jack?” I asked, this little experience reminded me of something.

“Yes darlin’?”

“I’m happy that you’re my husband.”

Smiling slow and sensual, with just a sizzle of sensual joy Jack kissed my hands, “As am I, Mary.” He then softly kissed my ring finger.

“He’s home now. Let’s hit the hay.” Jack pulled me up and we both walked up the stairs to our bedroom, wrapped in each other’s arms.